Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

WHAT is your favorite soldier's MEMOIR/AUTOBIOGRAPHY?

Article about: Thought this would be a good topic if it hasn't already been created. Nothing tells more then a primary account. Any recommendations or favorites? For myself I would have to say it would be

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Never even heard of this one never mind read it, but sounds like that is probably a good thing.

I flew for the Fuehrer was much loved when I was younger.
    It really was like pulling teeth Jerry, i kept on reading it hoping that it'd improve but i was wrong!....

The Forgotten Soldier definitely, also Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front by Koschorrek, Gunter K. Been selling a lot of these off lately but will certainly keep these two. Even have a late war M42 lid with the name Koschorrek or something similar in the liner. Most probably not his but interesting nevertheless.

I keep meaning to pick up a copy of Old soldiers Never die, partly because he was RWF and also because I understand it is a great book.
    It is an incredible book, very gritty and honest another good read for that era is 'There's a devil in the drum'. If you are interested in ww1 books than Somme mud is a good read written by an Australian.

I'll probably upset some people so its only my opinion. Sepp Blatter I thought was really dissapointing and not well written. It is based on his memoirs but I could not help feel that the writer had gone over the top with it.

I will read virtually any autobiography but a few of my favorites have been:

Philip Caputo: A Rumor of War
    B. A. "Jimmy" James: Moonless Night
    Ernst Junger: Storm of Steel
    Hiroo Onoda: No Surrender

I am currently reading Walter Bloem's The Advance from Mons which is a good perspective of the early days of WW1 from the German side. I am always looking out for unusual autobiographies. One that has caught my eye is John Morse: An Englishman in the Russian Ranks about an Englishman fighting in Poland for the Russians in WW1. Has anyone read it?

I would love to check out both those you speak about. Primary accounts are fascinating.

I'm currently reading the diary "I Was a Nazi Flier" by Flight Sergeant Gottfried Leske, 1st edition copyright 1941. Interesting thing about it being it was made into a book when he was still a POW and none of it was censored by the German Propaganda Ministry. So it comes from a primary standpoint before the turning point in the war. It was published by the Dial Press in New York.

And I got it for only $1.00!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I will read virtually any autobiography but a few of my favorites have been:

Philip Caputo: A Rumor of War
    B. A. "Jimmy" James: Moonless Night
    Ernst Junger: Storm of Steel
    Hiroo Onoda: No Surrender

I am currently reading Walter Bloem's The Advance from Mons which is a good perspective of the early days of WW1 from the German side. I am always looking out for unusual autobiographies. One that has caught my eye is John Morse: An Englishman in the Russian Ranks about an Englishman fighting in Poland for the Russians in WW1. Has anyone read it?
    Storm of Steel is a great read.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by davesap250 View Post
    I keep meaning to pick up a copy of Old soldiers Never die, partly because he was RWF and also because I understand it is a great book.
    It is an incredible book, very gritty and honest another good read for that era is 'There's a devil in the drum'. If you are interested in ww1 books than Somme mud is a good read written by an Australian.
    I'll keep an eye out for them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I'll keep an eye out for them.
    I have read Old Soldiers never Die too and can also throw my recommendation in there. The guy was everywhere! But I guess that just mirrors the wartime activities of the RWF. He also wrote Old Soldier Sahib about his time soldiering in pre- ww1 India, I have been looking out for a copy of it.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I have read Old Soldiers never Die too and can also throw my recommendation in there. The guy was everywhere! But I guess that just mirrors the wartime activities of the RWF. He also wrote Old Soldier Sahib about his time soldiering in pre- ww1 India, I have been looking out for a copy of it.
    It appears on ebay when I have looked and also intend to get it as well. I just always end up spending the money on more artifacts.
    Regards,

Jerry

Oh well, just took the plunge and bought both, Old Soldiers books from ebay.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast