Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Whats your favourite Battle of Britain film quote?

Article about: by big ned Susannah York....Gorgeous, I'd of been all over her like a tramp on a bag of chips, God bless her soul.... not often things make me laugh out loud on the forum but ..like a tramp

Default Re: Whats your favourite Battle of Britain film quote?

Thanks Steve,
    That looks like the one,Now just a long shot of it would be good.
    Reason being,i would really like one for my collection,and Aaron has the only one ive seen.Lol

It is not a well known fact that actor Michael Bates who played Warrant Officer Warrick in the film was more famous in his role as Ranji Ram, chief punkawallah in the comedy series 'It ain't half hot mum'.

Bates was born in India in Jahnsi Province, and served as a Major in the Gurkha Regiment in Burma during WW2; he spoke fluent Hindi.

He succumbed to cancer in 1978 in Cambridge aged 57.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I didnt know that Ned!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

For those not familiar with the series.....

It Aint Half Hot Mum - Monsoon Madness 1-3 - YouTube

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks for that Ned, I had no idea.
    As Squadron Leader Canfield would have said:
    "Not a lot of people know that!"

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

" Whispering grass the trees dont need to know" "sing lofty"
    " I cant do it Sergeant Major"
    "Eyes is watchin you laddie"

No favorite quote as such, but can I just say that Ron Goodwin's music is one of my favorite film scores ever.

The film has two musical scores. The first was written by Sir William Walton, and conducted by Malcolm Arnold. However, the music department at United Artists objected that the score was too short. As a result, a further score was commissioned from Ron Goodwin. Producer S. Benjamin Fisz and actor Sir Laurence Olivier protested this decision, and Olivier threatened to take his name from the credits. In the end, one segment of the Walton score, titled "The Battle in the Air"', which framed the climactic air battles of 15 September 1940, was retained in the final cut, as well as a few bars of his March in the final scene before the credits roll. The Walton score was played with no sound effects of aircraft engines or gunfire, giving the "Battle" sequence a transcendent, lyrical quality
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quite right. I have the soundtrack CD containing both the Goodwin and Walton scores, and while I personally like Goodwin's score better, Walton's is great, too. (I especially love his catchy "Young Siegfrieds" theme.)

?

Too right! Excellent movie!
    As all the good quotes from BoB has been taken, I'll steal a quote from a rather low-brow series at the other end of the spectrum (quality-wise):
    "I pity the fool, who hasnt seen BoB!"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast