Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Where is the best place to buy WWII stuff?

Article about: Wondering whats the best place to buy/sell WWII stuff in your opinion. Thanks- Neubauer

usaguy
    ?

Default Where is the best place to buy WWII stuff?

Wondering whats the best place to buy/sell WWII stuff in your opinion.

Thanks- Neubauer

Default Re: Where is the best place to buy WWII stuff?

estate auctions are the best i think. i find that when you go to a dealer of certain items they tend to inflate the price based off of the rarety of the item or the overall influx of fakes. i have been trick or led to believe from a dealer what i am buying is infact real but just turns out to be a total fake. Find a soldier that had just died or a family that is hording these military items of a dead relitive( father, grandfather, etc.) get buddy buddy with them and maybe they'll sell what they have to you or even better they'll give it to you. That's my two cents!

My nicest stuff has come from other collectors that are selling to change focus, pick up nicer items or are part time dealers. They are more willing to work with you sometimes than dealers are. Just be careful who you deal with on this level and check into the person, read posts they have made, etc. IMO.

Hi Neubauer, Goose and Frank both had good suggestions. It's kind of a broad question, because it depends on what you want to buy or sell. I live in Missouri and I have found alot of nice stuff at flea markets, and antiques stores. I have found nice stuff at several Oklahoma antique stores believe it or not. Alot of the small town antique stores end up with veterans stuff. You may have to scan through alot of junk before you see anything good, but that's half the fun. Whenever you drive somewhere, stop at some of the out of the way or small town antique stores. Ones that are not near busy freeways are the best. You won't find tons of stuff, but there are nice things sitting out there, that you can buy at a reasonable price. Don't be afraid to haggle. I can't tell you how many times I've been at some hole in the wall, small town antique shop, and sitting on a shelf with a dozen pieces of carnival glass, you'll find authentic medals, etc. Don't just walk in and ask the person working if they have any WWII stuff becaue they usually don't know what WWII items really look like. Dive in and and do a quick walk through. If you study authentic pieces and become knowledgeable, sometimes you can find stuff on ebay and gunbroker. There are several other auction sites also. Do your homework so you don't get scammed, and also so you know what the going prices are for legitimate pieces.

Good Luck Hunting!
    Jay

P.S.

Take a camera so if you see something you're not sure of, you can take a pic and put it on here for help.
    Last edited by sitges1990; 03-02-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Hi Neubauer, Goose and Frank both had good suggestions. It's kind of a broad question, because it depends on what you want to buy or sell. I live in Missouri and I have found alot of nice stuff at flea markets, and antiques stores. I have found nice stuff at several Oklahoma antique stores believe it or not. Alot of the small town antique stores end up with veterans stuff. You may have to scan through alot of junk before you see anything good, but that's half the fun. Whenever you drive somewhere, stop at some of the out of the way or small town antique stores. Ones that are not near busy freeways are the best. You won't find tons of stuff, but there are nice things sitting out there, that you can buy at a reasonable price. Don't be afraid to haggle. I can't tell you how many times I've been at some hole in the wall, small town antique shop, and sitting on a shelf with a dozen pieces of carnival glass, you'll find authentic medals, etc. Don't just walk in and ask the person working if they have any WWII stuff becaue they usually don't know what WWII items really look like. Dive in and and do a quick walk through. If you study authentic pieces and become knowledgeable, sometimes you can find stuff on ebay and gunbroker. There are several other auction sites also. Do your homework so you don't get scammed, and also so you know what the going prices are for legitimate pieces.

Good Luck Hunting!
    Jay

P.S.

Take a camera so if you see something you're not sure of, you can take a pic and put it on here for help.
    i love going to flea markets and finding good stuff, there really are so many ways of getting good militaria. Here in NC if you go to antique malls and flea markets around military bases there's a good chance of finding something. Broke soldiers will sell anything!

I hear you goose! Before I started collecting, my wife would drag me into the flea markets and antique stores and I hated it. God only knows how much stuff I walked by. I love looking now. We don't have very many big bases around me, but I'm sure that is true. I've found several allied and axis medals sitting amongst junk at antique stores, usually with no price on them. When you ask how much they want for it, they say, what will you pay. The stuff is out there, you just have to take the time to look and not get in a hurry.

Jay

usaguy
    ?

Thanks guys for all the help!!

-Neubauer

Chriso14
    ?

Well I have a problem, as I live in Australia, and much of the stuff is Brit/Australian and of course Japanese. So for me to say get an Iron Cross , a Wound Badge or such is difficult. I do have a few people who are in the Collecting and selling game, and as I have given them some of my gear I wore, I tend to trust them, as they have overseas acess to German contacts.
    I sell my combat webbing and cammo gear I used through a contact in Queensland who was also ex my Regt he sells to a particular Italian collector of anything Special Forces , which is now the flavour of the last 2 decades. So I rely on good contacts, I have never seen a real Cross except in our War Musuems here. My Gradnfather and 4 brothers fought in WW1, he was in the Australian Lighthorse Artillery in Palestine, then went to the Western Front with his brothers. On my Mothers side , my Grandad there fought WW11 first with 7Div against the Vichy French in Syria, then in New Guinea on Kokoda, Gona etc, but they left nothing behind but old gatters and in one case {WW 1 } his rifle leather bandolier.

SO IT IS HARD DOWNUNDER GUYS
    Cheers and thanks for any advice
    Chris

I am 18 and have been collecting for about six years now and need help in finding out which sites are trustworthy to buy from i have already bought from a couple but would just like others opinions! ti have a long list because i like diversity in my collection hank you!

The Collector's Guild
    Ruptured Duck
    RIver Valley Militaria
    Bay State Militaria and Antiques
    Lakeside Trader
    WW2 German Steel
    German War Helmet
    SS Steel
    WW2 German Helmets
    Wittman Antique
    Time Traveler

And i have dealt with this auction site before and have had very good dealings with

Bagwell & Associates Auction Company