Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Where to go in Chicago?

Article about: Hello all, I have two days off in Chicago starting today. Can anyone turn me on to their honey hole? Is there any antique stores that have militaria or maybe a militaria only antique store i

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Never bought anything in Chicago.
    chris
    Lots of places to go years ago but now, all gone.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I was just thinking the exact same thing, Bob...everyone I used to know there is either dead or long gone...lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I was just thinking the exact same thing, Bob...everyone I used to know there is either dead or long gone...lol
    An odd staff they have there these days. About ten years ago, I spoke with an assistant curator of collections of possibly willing my collection to the museum as I have some very historical items for display. At the time, the curator was telling me that they were having a difficult time finding a more recent US tank to complete their tank collection. My neighbor is a retired USMC Lt. Colonel whose last command was the tank school at Fort Knox. I disussed the issue with him and he said he could find one for them. I called the woman I spoke with, left her a message and never had the courtesy of a return call regarding either the tank or the collection. Very odd!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I have better luck to see anything in rural areas.
    chris

Kane County Flea market has a lot of relics, next time I go I'm gonna take pictures of the Roman artifacts that one of the dealers sell. Chris your right for some reason all the antique stores with a lot of military relics are out in the middle of nowhere.

SOme places in the North suburbs that I recommend...

1) NAS Glenview Museum, Glenview. It's a small museum (run by veterans and only open on weekends). The base closed down back in 1995 and the museums been there ever since. It's small and in a strange location, but its definetely worth the visit.

They have artifacts from the base, a salvaged TDB? engine, models and plenty of photos. They have a small section dedicated to the "fresh water" carriers (USS Sable and Wolverine). If you're interested in naval aviation, its definetely worth the visit.

2)Wolfes flea market (Allstate Arena), Rosemont. Open on Sundays, its a outdoor flea market and probably the second largest next to Lake county's flea market.

You never know what you could find there and its always a unique experience. I've been lucky and have found a WWI USMC dress blues, WWII Polish photos, and modern Spec Ops challenge coins (to give you an idea).

3)Army Navy Surplus Depot, Des Plaines. A small surplus shop that might be worth a shot. I've seen alot of reservists and guardsmen stopping by. I've picked up some modern items from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2