Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where's this hobby going?

Article about: As the title says where is it going. There is obviously interest, enough for several forums like this, and prices for items have never been higher relatively speaking and some of us have spe

kc1
    ?

Default Where's this hobby going?

As the title says where is it going. There is obviously interest, enough for several forums like this, and prices for items have never been higher relatively speaking and some of us have spent large amounts on militaria which have a large paper value, as long as you have a customer.
    I see two threads to the customer, firstly someone with the disposable income to spend on what most people would argue aren't necessities, no one on this site then, and having attended various fairs in the south west/midlands as a seller there is definately a lack of money being spent on militaria in general.
    Secondly by looking around at these fairs there is a distinct lack of people under 35-40 years attending them. So my question is who will you be selling your collection or spare items to in the future, just because you've paid alot for it doesn't mean you can sell to even recover your costs never mind thinking that your collection will be your pension.
    Just as an aside listening to 3 stall holders looking at a poster of German items of militaria stating that although they've sold many items they didn't know why some eagles looked right and some left, just a German thing was the view, all items warranted genuine?

Default Re: Where's this hobby going?

It's a hobby,something fun something interesting.If what you are looking for is an investment buy gold or stocks.That you can leave to your relatives so they can go out and buy stuff,stuff that they don"t need.I don't know about anyone else I taking my collection with me.

Hello-every year there are more and more collectors as younger people do get interested-I am involved with the largest militaria collecting society in WA and although the group tends to be people over 40 we run swapmeets/fairs on a regular basis that are well attended by the range of ages-here in Australia the economy is generally strong and prices for militaria are skyrocketing-it also has to be remembered that the market is world wide now thanks to the internet (which does bring it's own problems) and even in parts that have been hit by recession there are still plenty of people with real moneyto spend.

There will always be a market for good original militaria. Perhaps prices will stall at some
    point, but it is also a case of supply and demand, which lately has been reflected
    in higher prices asked for lesser or mediocre items.

A seasoned collector today may also want to get out while prices are 'up', but he will
    not be giving the stuff away. There are some wonderful things tucked away in
    these collections, I imagine. Also, suppose a collector has waited ten years
    and finally comes across that one special thing that he just has to have.
    He will pay any price because he may never see another.
    - As a friend says: "Go find one !".............

There are still plenty of young people interested in militaria today, and they select the
    things that are affordable to them, such as patches or cap badges - which is pretty
    much the way it has always been for the beginner - before they specialize
    or branch off into other areas later.

Some of the more rare, quality pieces, such as $10,000 SS daggers, uniforms and
    helmets, etc, are beyond most of us, so the many museums, serious/dedicated
    collectors, or the rich will own them. Those who could afford it twenty to forty
    years ago or so, and have recently decided to sell will have made the most
    from their collections in a darn good profit.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-30-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I started when i was in my single digits and I am going stronger than ever at 18. If I had my way, I would have a collection of SS and FJ helmets challenged only by those of Doug Buhler, Kelly Hicks, or Ken Niewiarowicz. I haven't been collecting as long as they have, first of all, and second, I cannot afford the things I want like the typical person. It annoys me when rich guys buy high-end militaria just for the sake of it, without even knowing what exactly it is that they bought! Especially when there are some days when I feel like I could swim across the Pacific ocean for my first SS helmet! But enough of that ranting...

I agree with operaman, if one is looking at militaria as a good way to get some extra money in the future, he or she should probably abandon that idea and buy gold or stocks instead. I think I speak for all of us when I say that there is no better feeling in the world than the one you get when you open up a package and pull out a fresh piece of history to add to the family.

Money is not a reward, but an obstacle.

When the symbol was first designed, the original intent was for the eagle facing to the right to represent the German nation. When the eagle faced to the left it was supposed to represent the Nazi party. It didn't take long for that rule to go out the window.

Jay

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    There will always be a market for good original militaria. Perhaps prices will stall at some
    point, but it is also a case of supply and demand, which lately has been reflected
    in higher prices asked for lesser or mediocre items.

A seasoned collector today may also want to get out while prices are 'up', but he will
    not be giving the stuff away. There are some wonderful things tucked away in
    these collections, I imagine. Also, suppose a collector has waited ten years
    and finally comes across that one special thing that he just has to have.
    He will pay any price because he may never see another.
    - As a friend says: "Go find one !".............

There are still plenty of young people interested in militaria today, and they select the
    things that are affordable to them, such as patches or cap badges - which is pretty
    much the way it has always been for the beginner - before they specialize
    or branch off into other areas later.

Some of the more rare, quality pieces, such as $10,000 SS daggers, uniforms and
    helmets, etc, are beyond most of us, so the many museums, serious/dedicated
    collectors, or the rich will own them
    . Those who could afford it twenty to forty
    years ago or so, and have recently decided to sell will have made the most
    from their collections in a darn good profit.
    Much like the eagle 'Garde" versions of the ww1 pickelhaubes you can find in older (70-80's) militaria collector books. I still have the 1st krause "official" price guide I bought as a kid in 1982. It lists a lot of desirable things for what seems now to be very cheap prices (SS daggers for a couple hundred bucks, etc) But remember even 20 dollars was a lot of money compared to my first few jobs that paid minimum wage in the mid 80's...... Definitely Couldn't afford it then, might can afford it now.... I am surprised prices aren't higher!!

Also, my brother sells US civil war relics as a fulltime profession, he says that while there IS a definite "greying" in the collecting world and there is definitely a slump in us civil war relics, there ARE younger folks that are stepping up to take their place.

I know this thread is few months old. Also reading a thread started by stonemint on WAF a few years ago. Just want to state my opinion.

MO
    I am pretty young not old enough yet to own a pistol in my country. I can tell you that my friends that are interested in my collection and study WWII stuff (5 of them) consider collecting. Main reason they don’t collect is because of the prices. They don’t have the money. Recently i told them that ten years from now there might be a good possibility of things getting cheaper or 15. Trust me, I know more who are younger than me (10+) that love to see the real deal and would collect, but again prices.

Example, for me I only buy stuff that i can afford. usually items around $100 or below. That my budget. To you old guys this stuff is consider common. I can’t afford to buy German cloth hats (most common ones ) when i feel the want to or helmets or EK 1's. it requires a lot of saving and waiting. Something my Generation does not have (able to wait). dealers and long time colletors (not all) not give breaks to encurge us young folks.

Interest is out there it just price does not support new comers. In future it might.

P.S.
    I give them credit to every collector I see or hear who are 23 or younger. It tells me I’m not alone

P.S.S
    WRF Is my favorite forum, it more personal (I think) and able to track people easier, open to new comers, and also open to possibility of exceptions to item (not hard core text book followers)

Just curious, Franz, whereabouts are you from? I actually live in Utah.

I am 18 by the way.

I agree with you, WRF is my favorite forum, too. I would love to be a member of GHW but I keep getting kicked out of there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast