Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Who drinks whisky?

Article about: by Totenhead Have to try some ! It's far better than the link makes it out to be, it's quite a smooth drink actually!..

?

Thumbs up Who drinks whisky?

Hello all,

Thought I'd find out who likes a dram or (ten) of the 'water of life'.

I'm not talking about your 'Merican bourbons, I'm talking about the real stuff

Personally I only drink single malt, and reserve blends (Johnnie Walker, Canadian Club, Chivas Regal etc.) for mixing. I drink it straight. As it is coming into summer here - I sometimes add a small icecube.

Islay is my favorite region, but there are a number of others with a huge variety of tastes, flavors, notes and characteristics. I plan to acquire a bottle of Yamazaki whisky sometime soon.

As of today, my collection stands at:

x1 Glenfiddich 18 year
    x1 Bowmore 22 year
    x1 Laphroaig 22 year
    x1 Singleton 12 year
    x1 Auchentoshan 12 year
    x1 Caol Ila 16 year
    x1 Glenfiddich 'Snow Pheonix' (no age statement)
    x1 Laphroaig quarter cask
    x2 Laphroaig 10 year
    x1 Caol Ila 32 year

So, who else wants to share?

Default Re: Who drinks whisky?

My whisky does not last long enough to be collected I'm afraid, my boy buys me two special bottles every year problem is they dont last long lol
    Ben

A bottle every 6 years! Mainly used for cooking.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I dont have a collection but 2 of my favorites are Glen Livet and Pinch " Haig & Haig'
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Cardhu single malt is also not a bad drop, neither is Arran single malt. But having said that, I can still enjoy a good bourbon, but like you said those have nothing to do with the real stuff. Jack's single barrel and the gentleman are not to bad as it goes, for being an American bourbon that is.

?

LOL, I certainly dont 'collect' whisky either.

Have been enjoying whisky - and also bourbon - for a long time though.
    Boubon rocks too BTW

Caol Ila is also a favourite of mine.
    They dont last long here, as the stuff taste good, bit currenlty have the Caol Ila, 2xGlenrothes and an insane Glenmorangie 57.2%/100 proof, that will burn your mouth off, if you dont add a drop of water.

Of course one is allowed to add a drop or maybe two drops of water to any quality whisky - it opens up the flavour and compliments the whisky in many cases (unintentional pun BTW)

?

Caol Ila is brilliant, though any variant of Laphroaig is by far my favourite.

Not a beginners whisky by any means, but just so much depth, fire and body. Brilliance in a glass.

Glen Moray 12, Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12 and Bowmore Legend I consider to be my 'ready-use' ammunition! Delicious by relatviely cheap to obtain.

If you don't drink whisky, feel free to share your favourite tipple. I like to know what people drink

?

No offence, but blended whiskys can be just fine. Some are shite though.
    But once you start scratching just beyond the surface and expand your horizon just a bit more, you find some fine stuff
    For what its worth, I used to scoff at blends too. Now I know better!

Iv just finished off a small batch BIG PEAT and the stuff tastes great. Its a blend of Islay Single Malts including ARDBEG, CAOL ILA, BOWMORE and PORT ELLEN.

Likewise, once you start exploring American bourbons, its like hearing angels sing. Thinking the US cant make good tasting bourbon is a fallacy and sad if one avoids them thinking they are bad.

Gentleman Jim was mentioned above and that is fantastic. That is just one of several fantastic and smooth tasting bourbons from the US, but as they were not the scope of this thread, I wont harp on about them

?

Quote by DioMac View Post
    Caol Ila is brilliant, though any variant of Laphroaig is by far my favourite.

Not a beginners whisky by any means, but just so much depth, fire and body. Brilliance in a glass.

Glen Moray 12, Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12 and Bowmore Legend I consider to be my 'ready-use' ammunition! Delicious by relatviely cheap to obtain.

If you don't drink whisky, feel free to share your favourite tipple. I like to know what people drink
    Agreed; Laphroig is fantastic. But I guess, you have to like the peaty ones to really appreciate the type of whisky.
    Lagavulin is also one of my favourites as Im all for the peaty tasting ones.

?

Oh I'm not knocking the bourbons Scout - I've had a few on the shelf Now that we are coming into summer I'll probably be chasing some Johnny Red to mix with ice and coke...Perfect after a hot day!

Over here in Australia, bourbon and especially rum drinkers are sometimes seen as 'lower-shelf' - or 'bogan' as we call them. So there can be stigma attached to drinking them

On top of that, we seem to pay a lot more for our hooch than we should, so for the price of a blended bottle, it's often worth (to me anyway) spending an extra $5 or $10 to get a single malt.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast