Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Who drinks whisky?

Article about: by Totenhead Have to try some ! It's far better than the link makes it out to be, it's quite a smooth drink actually!..

Default Re: Who drinks whisky?

Aberlour has been my favourite for years !! The finest imo

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Aberlour is fine indeed!

Quote by DioMac View Post
    Oh I'm not knocking the bourbons Scout - I've had a few on the shelf Now that we are coming into summer I'll probably be chasing some Johnny Red to mix with ice and coke...Perfect after a hot day!

Over here in Australia, bourbon and especially rum drinkers are sometimes seen as 'lower-shelf' - or 'bogan' as we call them. So there can be stigma attached to drinking them

On top of that, we seem to pay a lot more for our hooch than we should, so for the price of a blended bottle, it's often worth (to me anyway) spending an extra $5 or $10 to get a single malt.
    EEEWWWWWW, whisky and Coke (or rum and coke for that matter)! Not for me, but then I dont touch coke under any circumstances and havent for many years. I hate the stuff.
    But to each his own and all that jazz.

Agreed about the stigma though.
    I also caugth a lot of flak during the years for drinking bourbon, though for other reasons.
    When in high school all my buddies mostly drank beer. I was the odd one out, as I always brought a bottle of bourbon to a party instead of beer.
    Until morning, most everyone would get shitfaced. Id stick to bourbon or whisky and keep a nice mellow buzz going until morning.
    Dont party much like that anymore, but still like the stuff.

Yes, hooch is overpriced most places. Not in the US of course.

I guess, its hard to argue as its poison to some, but as I dont have an alcoholic problem, I would like the see the imported stuff just a tad cheaper.

My only problem with alcohol, is that i dont have enough of the good stuff! (ooops, would that be an alky argument!)LOL.

I know you mainly wanted to talk about the good stuff, but I might add (or rather add this BECAUSE you mentioend the good stuff): Ive always disliked rum, but recently a buddy introduced me to an excellent one.
    So, I guess, I have to include myself in the batch of those having their horizon expanded, as the rum was fantastic (the name escapes me at the mo).
    As with most people, a bad experience when a teen sticks - at least that was how it was for me. I got drunk on that horrible sickly sweet Bacardi and hated rum ever since.
    Little did I know, there was some excellent rum out there. Ive somehow managed to avoid all kinds of rum since then and until a short while ago.
    I refused to even drink a drop, but my buddy who is a rum afficinado finnaly persuaded me. The rum was simply fantastic!
    It was as great tasting and smooth as the finest 'cognac'/brandy.
    I certainly take back the rum slander, Ive voiced over the years, LOL.
    So on occasion, an old dog CAN be taught a new trick!
    A comfort to know, that there are still new things out there to e learned, I guess.

I quite like Jamesons Irish. I got a bottle of Talisker for Christmas a year or two ago which went down nicely as well.

A nice bottle of Bushmills 25 Year Malt is quite easy to accept.....but me for favorite every day stuff? I'll be the heretic, as usual, and stick with my always in stock Courvoisier XO cognac....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Aberlour has been my favourite for years !! The finest imo

Nick
    An excellent choice Nick! Very approachable and good for all occasions. Unfortunately maybe too many of them

photo (5).jpg

I find the approachable types seem to have a inexplicable vanishing trick

Quote by Scout View Post
    Aberlour is fine indeed!

EEEWWWWWW, whisky and Coke (or rum and coke for that matter)! Not for me, but then I dont touch coke under any circumstances and havent for many years. I hate the stuff.
    But to each his own and all that jazz.

Agreed about the stigma though.
    I also caugth a lot of flak during the years for drinking bourbon, though for other reasons.
    When in high school all my buddies mostly drank beer. I was the odd one out, as I always brought a bottle of bourbon to a party instead of beer.
    Until morning, most everyone would get shitfaced. Id stick to bourbon or whisky and keep a nice mellow buzz going until morning.
    Dont party much like that anymore, but still like the stuff.

Yes, hooch is overpriced most places. Not in the US of course.

I guess, its hard to argue as its poison to some, but as I dont have an alcoholic problem, I would like the see the imported stuff just a tad cheaper.

My only problem with alcohol, is that i dont have enough of the good stuff! (ooops, would that be an alky argument!)LOL.

I know you mainly wanted to talk about the good stuff, but I might add (or rather add this BECAUSE you mentioend the good stuff): Ive always disliked rum, but recently a buddy introduced me to an excellent one.
    So, I guess, I have to include myself in the batch of those having their horizon expanded, as the rum was fantastic (the name escapes me at the mo).
    As with most people, a bad experience when a teen sticks - at least that was how it was for me. I got drunk on that horrible sickly sweet Bacardi and hated rum ever since.
    Little did I know, there was some excellent rum out there. Ive somehow managed to avoid all kinds of rum since then and until a short while ago.
    I refused to even drink a drop, but my buddy who is a rum afficinado finnaly persuaded me. The rum was simply fantastic!
    It was as great tasting and smooth as the finest 'cognac'/brandy.
    I certainly take back the rum slander, Ive voiced over the years, LOL.
    So on occasion, an old dog CAN be taught a new trick!
    A comfort to know, that there are still new things out there to e learned, I guess.
    I find rum just too sweet for me Scout. I don't know why, I just don't like the stuff! Have you tried any of our (in)famous Aussie Bundaberg rum? Have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKbOkhPX5xU

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I quite like Jamesons Irish. I got a bottle of Talisker for Christmas a year or two ago which went down nicely as well.
    My friend bought me back a 1L bottle of Jameson from the US, duty free. Not bad stuff. I quite like their 12 year expression as well

Wagriff, Cognac is still on my to do list!

Here are two quick photos. It's missing a few bottles as they are still in transit...oh and the relics? They are just there for show

photo (3).jpgphoto (4).jpg

I like a cold beer on a warm day, trouble is we regularly have 25c days here in winter as you know so we have plenty of warm days to have a cold beer, I blame our climate for my drinking problem!lol

?

Ha, yeah. It's pretty entrenched here Sandgroper. Just have to look at the rum rebellion!

What sort of beer are you partial to? I've just become a fan of the imported 450ml Grolsch - can be had at Woolies for $20!

I used to drink, then realized that a $80 bottle of booze was getting in the way of my addiction. All money to the collecting habit.

FG

Like Dave, I'm another Beer swilling Aussie. You Northerners need the whisky to keep warm from the Arctic freezes & we need the beer for the bushfires
    ( actually we don't need an excuse to crack a tinnie or two ...... or three )

Cheerths, laddths!!!
    Dan ....hic!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I'm a West Aussie to mate - I well understand the concept haha

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast