Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

why do most people collect german militaria?

Article about: i don't know where to put it so i just put it here what i always ask myself, Why do most people collect german militaria? I would be proud to have a uniform from a allied soldier who had fou

nikos
    ?

Default Re: why do most people collect german militaria?

Many people would probably agree with the fact that the III Reich military combines a quite fascinating design with the brutality, both produced in the heart of Europe and allegedly based in science. The fact that this power today has disappeared, I think plays a major role in my interest.. Soviet WW2 militaria is also interesting for similar reason, BUT it ended more or less peacefully few years ago, not so much dramatically as III Reich. The German militaria bears a symbolism which is much more stronger than any other..

BROADSWORD
    ?

There is no doubt that the swastika's draw is great to many collectors and the eagle is the greatest bird of prey symbol which is why its so common as a military symbol which is why the swastika makes it so different ,its true there has not been a war since to match the awsome power of one mans will over millions i think the next one will be north korea?

I don't know if I can give an exact and as honest of an answer that is wanted but-I collect both Imperial and WWII German military items only-I don't collect political-police-hunting or other-even though I admit I do have a very early made nazi banner made either in 1923 or in 1925-and also has weights sewn into the bottom part I guess the purpose is to keep the flag from fluttering in the breeze so that you can always see the swaz in its circle?

Anyway, thanks actually to my Mother-I have since a young age-always liked the looks of German badges and uniforms and such. When I was six-I got to see the one momento my Grandfather brought back-which is a Friedrich Orth made Destroyer War Badge-which is still in excellent condition. I liked the "looks" of the badge thinking it was one of the coolest things ever made. At that time, I didn't know or probably wouldn't have cared-about the fact that it had a swaz on it. The same thing can be said for their helmets and guns. I always loved the looks of those items and always wanted at least one. I have a few in the collection.

I really got interested in WWII history at about the age of 10-and it was ony about the War in the Pacific-India etc. They I gradually became interested in all things Italy-North Africa-and D-Day and Battle of the Bulge related. I finally "graduated" to the war on the Eastern Front. I have put the vast amount of my attention to the Eastern Front as well as collecting things related to e/front-west front only on occasion and if it fits my fancy.

About 12 years ago-I got my first Imperial item-and I still collect Imperial on occasion-but my main focus is WWII Eastern Front-why? partly because of the fact that many vets are still alive and also like to talk about their experiances. I am also lucky in that I know many many German Vets, have been friends with many for many years-and several of them have given me a wartime momento of theirs like-a 1939 EKII, a Frozen Meat Medal, a mint unused pair of Panzer Officers Collartabs, a West Wall medal, ribbonbars-and a KM officers overseas cap. These items all-are worth millions to me because I know who they were owned by as well as I know where those items were.

Sorry for a long reply but-that's about the easiest way I can sum it up as to why I like collecting German items. One area I flat out refuse to collect in-is anything ground dug-to me that is nothing more than stealing from the dead (on most occasions) and shows a lack of respect for the fallen. This is my opinion only and not meant to belittle anyone who does collect ground dug items. For me-it's that if I am going to spend a lot of money on an object-I would much rather have as nice of an object I can get for my money spent. Nothing more-nothing less.

Cheers-H.B-1944.

BROADSWORD
    ?

Its is funny as soon as you say to some person that you collect militaria they nearly always say "is it nazi" and you reply yes usualy they respond "lets have a look then" even old people who lived through the war and people of all races religion i even know a jewish guy who collects ! This seems to be a worldwide facination which begs the question why ? I think deep down in us all is a frustrated warrior who is envious of a time when men had great adventures and battles against good and evil and had to survive on their wits where courage could be released in waves ,to own history is to be its guardian all you guys and girls out there are its gurdians and should be proud.

Im friends with a Jewish lady who spent a few years in a Concentration Camp. Her name is Anna-and she knows I have a "fever" for collecting German stuff-which doesn't bother her in the least. Anyway, she is of the attitude that only a few Germans were bad-and not the whole of the people. I really admire Anna for how she is and how she thinks. I wish others would think of it like she does.

We both used to volunteer at a Museum and I brought in most of my stuff for her to look at. Anna didn't have anything negative to say-and n seeing these items-she remarked at how beautifully these items were designed-that much thought was put into their designs. Also added that it was no wonder why so many people collected those items.

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    One area I flat out refuse to collect in-is anything ground dug-to me that is nothing more than stealing from the dead (on most occasions) and shows a lack of respect for the fallen. This is my opinion only and not meant to belittle anyone who does collect ground dug items. .
    An interesting opinion.One I do not share.Do you feel this way about military archeology in general?

?

I started with CIVIL WAR but few ORIGINAL items were out for sale, lots of Nazi and easy to get, copys were there... price was good - I traded a musket and frock coat for a knights cross & complete army tunic early 60s... still have SS ,SA and Red cross dagger

HELMET_DOG
    ?

I Collect because it it is tangible proof that that past did exist,and the remenance of these items are the proof of what once was, and we can hold it in our hands,and say that we actualy have a piece of history for others to see.

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    I don't know if I can give an exact and as honest of an answer that is wanted but-I collect both Imperial and WWII German military items only-I don't collect political-police-hunting or other-even though I admit I do have a very early made nazi banner made either in 1923 or in 1925-and also has weights sewn into the bottom part I guess the purpose is to keep the flag from fluttering in the breeze so that you can always see the swaz in its circle?

Anyway, thanks actually to my Mother-I have since a young age-always liked the looks of German badges and uniforms and such. When I was six-I got to see the one momento my Grandfather brought back-which is a Friedrich Orth made Destroyer War Badge-which is still in excellent condition. I liked the "looks" of the badge thinking it was one of the coolest things ever made. At that time, I didn't know or probably wouldn't have cared-about the fact that it had a swaz on it. The same thing can be said for their helmets and guns. I always loved the looks of those items and always wanted at least one. I have a few in the collection.

I really got interested in WWII history at about the age of 10-and it was ony about the War in the Pacific-India etc. They I gradually became interested in all things Italy-North Africa-and D-Day and Battle of the Bulge related. I finally "graduated" to the war on the Eastern Front. I have put the vast amount of my attention to the Eastern Front as well as collecting things related to e/front-west front only on occasion and if it fits my fancy.

About 12 years ago-I got my first Imperial item-and I still collect Imperial on occasion-but my main focus is WWII Eastern Front-why? partly because of the fact that many vets are still alive and also like to talk about their experiances. I am also lucky in that I know many many German Vets, have been friends with many for many years-and several of them have given me a wartime momento of theirs like-a 1939 EKII, a Frozen Meat Medal, a mint unused pair of Panzer Officers Collartabs, a West Wall medal, ribbonbars-and a KM officers overseas cap. These items all-are worth millions to me because I know who they were owned by as well as I know where those items were.

Sorry for a long reply but-that's about the easiest way I can sum it up as to why I like collecting German items. One area I flat out refuse to collect in-is anything ground dug-to me that is nothing more than stealing from the dead (on most occasions) and shows a lack of respect for the fallen. This is my opinion only and not meant to belittle anyone who does collect ground dug items. For me-it's that if I am going to spend a lot of money on an object-I would much rather have as nice of an object I can get for my money spent. Nothing more-nothing less.

Cheers-H.B-1944.
    well said! and i loved your long reply

I try to collect german militaria because they invaded norway where i live. I guess i would love to collect norwegian resistance stuff, but since this was not really organized they didnt have any special type of uniform or equipment. Its almost impossible to come by anything norwegian restistance i think.
    Ever since I was a kid we would run around in the old german coastal forts and play war. So ofcourse I got interested in who built these huge structures and why.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast