Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

why do most people collect german militaria?

Article about: i don't know where to put it so i just put it here what i always ask myself, Why do most people collect german militaria? I would be proud to have a uniform from a allied soldier who had fou

Default Re: why do most people collect german militaria?

Collecting german stuff from WW2 is a way to tribute respect to people that served their country with honor, till the end. Is nothing related to ideologic analyzes. Politic is a different thing, as well as history.
    I consider that winners have the right to stand because it's the victory award; the losers need someone good enough to look beyond the barricades.
    cheers

I started collecting German because as an Ex soldier of 23 years I was amazed how advanced the German equipment was for the time period. The SS camo smocks were fantastic, and reversible for spring/autumn, recently we have started to do the same thing with our British gear. Small things like the Knife fork and spoon set the Germans had we still use tio this very day. The Germans machine guns were way ahead of their time and their use of fire support from the MG whilst the infantry carried flanking attacks is the basis of the British modern day tactics (saying that these have probably been used for 1000's of years in different ways) Blitzkrieg was fantastic, using combined arty/air support along with tanks and infantry. There are lots of things that I have attributed to my Military career that came from the German Army of WW2.
    Ben

Quote by wolffighter View Post
    i don't know where to put it so i just put it here
    what i always ask myself, Why do most people collect german militaria?
    I would be proud to have a uniform from a allied soldier who had fought against the nazi-regime,but thats just my oppinion.
    i hope german militaria collectors can give me an answer

greets

we as collector from every sort should never forget the people who lived in and after the war beginner or ender
    as collector whe must keep the items allied or axis in maintance
    even the graves of the german soldier as some might think they have to be forgotten me as a young collector of german militaria and a member of the german kriegsgrabenbunt

says german militaria is just one of its kind
    and to me the best ever made

Quote by Jason L View Post
    An interesting opinion.One I do not share.Do you feel this way about military archeology in general?

Thats OK, we all have our preferences. I just refuse to buy any ground dug items-I get people trying to sell me theirs and I politely decline their offers. Also, any militrie dealer who starts selling ground dug items-I will no longer do any business with-I don't care who the dealer is. Also, if im going to part with my money-I want good, clean and complete non corroded specimein in my collection.

As for trying to answer your question to me about Military Archeology-yes I do support that and that is totally a different subject in itself. Those wh do this do not take relics out of the ground in order to make a profit. Also, these people are professional and scientific in doing these things-which is totally different than those who purposely dig into a grave in order to steal that deceased persons possessions. However, like I say-it is only just my opinion in that no-I do not care for the collecting of relics taken from a persons grave. I have too much respect for the deceased to ever do that.

Also, I collect images of destroyed vehicles and such-but ONLY if they do not show dead soldiers in them. I refuse to buy photos of men killed and who are in some undignified position. To me-collecting such pictures is disrespectful for the departed-as well as ghoulish.

Can I ask you a question? If so? How do you feel about me-as a collector and minor amateur historian-in that I do not like collecting ground dug items and such. Yes I do like Mil Archeology and such-but that is because history and found items are being preserved for histories sake and most of the items end up in Museums and go on display-so that many many "people get to witness first hand--a "window: of sorts into th e distant past.

No hard feelings meant--Cheers.

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    Thats OK, we all have our preferences. I just refuse to buy any ground dug items-I get people trying to sell me theirs and I politely decline their offers. Also, any militrie dealer who starts selling ground dug items-I will no longer do any business with-I don't care who the dealer is. Also, if im going to part with my money-I want good, clean and complete non corroded specimein in my collection.

As for trying to answer your question to me about Military Archeology-yes I do support that and that is totally a different subject in itself. Those wh do this do not take relics out of the ground in order to make a profit. Also, these people are professional and scientific in doing these things-which is totally different than those who purposely dig into a grave in order to steal that deceased persons possessions. However, like I say-it is only just my opinion in that no-I do not care for the collecting of relics taken from a persons grave. I have too much respect for the deceased to ever do that.

Also, I collect images of destroyed vehicles and such-but ONLY if they do not show dead soldiers in them. I refuse to buy photos of men killed and who are in some undignified position. To me-collecting such pictures is disrespectful for the departed-as well as ghoulish.

Can I ask you a question? If so? How do you feel about me-as a collector and minor amateur historian-in that I do not like collecting ground dug items and such. Yes I do like Mil Archeology and such-but that is because history and found items are being preserved for histories sake and most of the items end up in Museums and go on display-so that many many "people get to witness first hand--a "window: of sorts into th e distant past.

No hard feelings meant--Cheers.
    No hard feelings taken,I own no ground dug items.I posed this question to you because you are so convicted in your answer.I respect all of my fellow collectors and would not make a statement like that on an open forum,out of respect to those who enjoy this type of collecting.If you have taken note ,our site welcomes the discussion of battlefield archeology.I just found it curious that a gentleman who is comfortable sharing his passion of German WWII militaria with a Holocaust survivor would take issue with ground dug items for collecting or profit.I have never gone on a battlefield with a metal detector,but the idea is interesting to me.It seems like a valid way to unlock the secrets of the pastI dont believe many collectors are diging in cemetaries with tombstones,this would be improper.

Thumbs up Re: why do most people collect german militaria?

Quote by Jason L View Post
    No hard feelings taken,I own no ground dug items.I posed this question to you because you are so convicted in your answer.I respect all of my fellow collectors and would not make a statement like that on an open forum,out of respect to those who enjoy this type of collecting.If you have taken note ,our site welcomes the discussion of battlefield archeology.I just found it curious that a gentleman who is comfortable sharing his passion of German WWII militaria with a Holocaust survivor would take issue with ground dug items for collecting or profit.I have never gone on a battlefield with a metal detector,but the idea is interesting to me.It seems like a valid way to unlock the secrets of the pastI dont believe many collectors are diging in cemetaries with tombstones,this would be improper.
    Cheers Mate-im Irish, Welsh, Norwegian and Cherokee Indian-and all of them are known for havin "short fuses" but-im slowly learning (after 42 years of tying) to keep control of that-but-I was raised in a household where a person spoke about what was on their minds ;-))

Just for me though-I just don't collect ground-dug items for those listed reasons above but-I don't have a lot of money that I cn afford to "throw to the wind" when it comes to collecting militaria. I find that buying the original item and in good condition-is the better buy because the item is not rusting or heavily damaged-even though that if that item could talk-that it would have some quite good stories to tell ;-)) Im also not one of those who nab an item just to have a certain maker mark or anything-I usually get most of my items on the spur of the moment. Right now-I am hoping to do a fairly expensive deal in order to get a minty Feldgendarmerie Gorget-which if this deal goes through-will be my first and most likely only Gorget ill ever try for ;-))

Anyway, I do respect your comments as well as a persons own reasons for collecting things they like-even if ground dug. Just for me though_I can't bear the thought that I would own a deceased soldiers item(s) that he was buried with-supporting the grave-hunter adn their road to making a huge profit off the departed. I don't know-maybe im just strange in my way of thinking? ;-))

Cheers Mate.

I only have 3 German collectables

a LUGER, WALTHER PPK, and one HELMET

I dont really collect German items because there too expensive and hard to get

Hi Battle Gear-don't give up on collecting German-there are still great deals out there. I just recently got one consisting of 4 award docs-their accompanying badges-all belonging to the same soldier. With these I got a "spare" SIlver IAB and another WMC w/swords 2nd-all for $320.00 which I saved at least $200.00 or so as the dealer wanted to move them and that's what he knocked off the final total and included free shipping too ;-))

?

Over the years I have collected U.S., German, British, Russian and French militaria. I quickly found out that I was not rich enough to collect all these different types of militaria.
    So I decided to concentrate on my favorites - WWII German and WWII USMC. And now I have narrowed it down even further to just WWII German. It just interests me the most!
    I still have a few items from the other categories but I actively collect the German stuff now. But if a good deal presents itself, I would buy about any WWII militaria.

Now where did I put that Powerball ticket?

Best Regards,
    Mike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4