Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Article about: I feel like I have answered this before, but I like these threads, so I don't mind answering again. When I was five I got a bucket of plastic army men for Christmas. I played with then every

Smile Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Hello guys!

I am driven by curiosity - it could be interesting to see why, when and how you began your "career" as collectors.
    If a similar thread already exists, I do apologize.

Starting with myself: since my 6th year as a human being on planet Earth I have had a huge interest (passion?) in German WW2 items/relics/stories/anything possible. Especially Kriegsmarine. When I was a little girl I refused to play with dolls, only toy guns would do... and they had to be noisy... the more noise they made, the better. To this day I´m still searching for a KM helmet.

But it wasn´t until 2010 that this interest really bit me... it started with a birthday present (M36 Heer Officer´s Tunic and an M42 Heer helmet) from my best friend.

Looking forward to reading your stories!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Default Re: Why, when & how did you begin collecting?

Have lots to tell, have always been into "war" items especially German, bought my first TR item when I was around 7 or so don't remember the exact time, but parents didn't always agree with my items. Got my first NSDAP banner on my senior trip for $25.00.
    It was about 18' long, my dad threw it away years later. Since then, off and on until this year when I hit a good estate from a Vet. Will tell more in a few....In fact here is my first TR item. I bought it over 40 years ago, and still have it, use to take it to school and play, the muzzle is gone, it use to hold a plastic shell that fired. Now days if you take something like this to school, you would be a Nazi/ Terrorist of something!

Mike

PB010135.jpgPB010136.JPG
    Last edited by Teutonicknights; 11-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.

?

Some 12 years ago my grandma left her diaries/scrapbook and a k98bayo which my grandfather supposedly stole back then.
    During my childhood I've heard her telling about the occupation and as her children did'nt want the diaries i took them.
    From there it evolved and today i'm primarily collecting daggers, photoalbums and dlv/nsfk stuff.
    Lately i've become very interested in Carinhall and the forst-part of 3. reich as i've met and made friends with a very interesting lady with close relations to Carinhall and the Göring family!
    I'm also very interrested in the pre-war period politics and propaganda :-D

Hi all,

My signature tells most of the story and I had a few items when I was young and my Dad's medals were always going to be left to me, which they were when he passed away in 93. Started to actively collect a few years later and still at it!

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Teutonicknights View Post
    , ....
    my dad threw it away years later. ..........

Mike
    Happend to me too!!
    Still have to hide TR items when my dad's come to visit us!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

my dad was in forces and he always told me stories when i was younger about varous wars and battles hed been in showed me a mountain of medals that he was awarded with and gave me most of his kit (he was stationed in germany) and now i have a love for the bundeswehr military

tom

Hello, I started to collect war stuff two years ago, when I was 16. I saw my neighbors collection an was so fascinated that I began to collect too.
    Alex

Quote by Luxembourg View Post
    Hello, I started to collect war stuff two years ago, when I was 16. I saw my neighbors collection an was so fascinated that I began to collect too.
    Alex
    Welcome to the forum, Luxembourg!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Luxembourg!
    Thanks Stinschen

I have had an interest in WW2 for as long as I can remember. I was given a leather WW2 pilots helmet when I was about 5 and wore it all the time!! I am still wearing it now at work

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast