Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

World War II Vet Told He’s Too Old For Memorial Parade

Article about: If it wasn't sickeningly True, this would sound like a bad joke... By Eric Pfeiffer November 16, 2013 7:28 PM A World War II veteran who served the British Royal Navy with distinction was to

Default World War II Vet Told He’s Too Old For Memorial Parade

If it wasn't sickeningly True, this would sound like a bad joke...

By Eric Pfeiffer November 16, 2013 7:28 PM

A World War II veteran who served the British Royal Navy with distinction was told he’s now too old to take part in an annual parade honoring veterans.

The Express reports that 89-year-old Albert “Dusty” Miller has served as the grand marshal for nearly 40 years in the Royal British Legion’s annual Remembrance Day parade.

The reason? Officials say Miller "is too old to be insured."

“ They came up to me and said, 'I've got a bit of bad news for you,’” Miller told the paper. "At first I thought somebody had died and it was going to be another funeral. Then they told me HQ insisted I had to stand down as parade marshal.”

The World War II vet enlisted when he was just 16-years-old. The Express says he was awarded for each of the four military campaigns he took part in during the war, receiving the 1939-45 Star, the Atlantic Star medal, the Burma Star with a Pacific Clasp and the International Submarine Service Medal.

Miller said he argued that he’s still fit enough to handle the requirements of being the parade’s marshal, the requirements of which are described and organizing and leading the annual veteran’s parade. But the organizers told him that technically he should have retired from parade duties when he turned 85 because of the insurance rules.

"It hit me like a ton of bricks,” Miller said. "I was that disgusted I didn't know what to say.”

The Royal British Legion has not commented on the story but Miller noted he had served as marshal for 38 consecutive years and that, "I never even knew standard-bearers had to be insured.”
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very sad to hear!
    I hope this gets resolved and this veteran gets the respect he deserves.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

William

This is truly sickening! What is this world coming to?

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

I daresay some jobs worth has stuck his nose in and hopes to get some brownie points, and I bet the buggers never even seen action of any sort and has always been a pen pusher

WWII veteran too old for parade... But that's sorta the point... And... I am so bewildered by this

I guess the World revolves on $$$$$....or in this case, £££££......that such a thing should happen is just insane and sickening...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Sadly this isn't really surprising. I mean, when there has to be laws like Good Samaritan Laws that protect people who try to help others then a rule like this, certainly instated to cover someones arse, isn't out of the norm. Truly a shame that brave men such as Mr. Miller are treated the way they are sometimes.

What a load of bollocks!...

I find that a bit rich when Harry Patch was able to attend the Menin Gate ceremony at the age of 110 or something. I wonder what job they think he is going to do that is so taxing?

There was no one to tell he could not go out on the front line and risk his neck during the war, now something that he fought for is being taken away from him. Its his choice to carry on with pride and passion. I am sure if he felt that it was too much for him he would stand down. But for some "official" to strip him of his "duty" is somewhat pathetic, cruel and totally undeserved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast