Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Write a letter to RK receiver

Article about: by Falschirmjager Hi there Joe, Its strange having no replies on the other forum but could be nobody really knew how to suggest helping you. From experience id say most of the old veterans a

Post Write a letter to RK receiver

Greeting Gents:

I am a beginner of TR militaria collector, and I'm always want to write a letter to any RK receiver who are still living.

I'm afraid if I don't do it now, they will be no opportunity, as the time past on.

So If that's possible for you gents to give me any adviser on how to write a "proper formal" letter to those RK receiver? What should I Prepare or know before I star to write? In order to get their reply of their sign autograph or Autobiography?
    And in general do they still feel ok or comfort to do those autograph thing for people anymore?

And if they do feel ok with it, where can I acquire their contact detail?

Sorry so many question, hope you gents don't mind it.

Thanks so much

Best Regards
    Joe

Default Re: Write a letter to RK receiver

Quote by JoeLiao View Post
    Greeting Gents:

I am a beginner of TR militaria collector, and I'm always want to write a letter to any RK receiver who are still living.

I'm afraid if I don't do it now, they will be no opportunity, as the time past on.

So If that's possible for you gents to give me any adviser on how to write a "proper formal" letter to those RK receiver? What should I Prepare or know before I star to write? In order to get their reply of their sign autograph or Autobiography?
    And in general do they still feel ok or comfort to do those autograph thing for people anymore?

And if they do feel ok with it, where can I acquire their contact detail?

Sorry so many question, hope you gents don't mind it.

Thanks so much

Best Regards
    Joe
    Hi there, You should have no problems at all and just write a polite request for their autograph as it usually does the trick and has worked for me in the past! For Luftwaffe you must write to the Deutscher Luftwaffenring and they can give you contact details or forward letters for you, not sure who you have to contact for the Wehrmacht etc. I will try and dig out the address of the Luftwaffenring and post it up here. There are few of these guys left now and last one i was in contact with was German fighter Ace Gunther Rall who has since passed away. I will be in touch again soon and will help you as much as i can. Do you have any specific wants?? Best Regards, Tim.

Wink Re: Write a letter to RK receiver

Dear Tim:

Thanks so much for your kindness, I really don’t know what to say... I guess “Thanks” is the only word that I think of now...

I try to post the same question on other forum, but no one reply, is that because of those veteran don’t want to be bother from the crazy collector anymore, or is there other reason the information is so limited?

So you mean in order to get there contact detail, I have to write the letter to veteran association/organization ( like Deutscher Luftwaffenring ) first, to inform them that I will like to get contact with the veteran right?

Basically, I only come up of this idea few weeks ago, so I haven’t decide which specific one I will like to contact to...

I guess I will try any one for the first time, because I have never done this before, so is kind of nervous right now.

Thanks so much again
    Best Regards
    Joe

A good idea Joe, something I always thought about doing! But hey, sadly you will have to be fast, they are getting so few

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Dear Nick:

Yes, I thought that too, and I think it is also a Meaningful thing to do.

Best Regards
    Joe

Quote by JoeLiao View Post
    Dear Tim:

Thanks so much for your kindness, I really don’t know what to say... I guess “Thanks” is the only word that I think of now...

I try to post the same question on other forum, but no one reply, is that because of those veteran don’t want to be bother from the crazy collector anymore, or is there other reason the information is so limited?

So you mean in order to get there contact detail, I have to write the letter to veteran association/organization ( like Deutscher Luftwaffenring ) first, to inform them that I will like to get contact with the veteran right?

Basically, I only come up of this idea few weeks ago, so I haven’t decide which specific one I will like to contact to...

I guess I will try any one for the first time, because I have never done this before, so is kind of nervous right now.

Thanks so much again
    Best Regards
    Joe
    Hi there Joe, Its strange having no replies on the other forum but could be nobody really knew how to suggest helping you. From experience id say most of the old veterans are well aware of their near celebrity status these days and know that there are people genuinely interested in their careers etc and so are not surprised to receive fan mail and requests for signed photographs. Many have picture postcards made up specially for the purpose of signing. But for Luftwaffe aircrews of which there are still a number of RK holders still living i would write to the Deutscher Luftwaffenring at their address of : DEUTSCHER LUFTWAFFENRING eV
    RHEINALLEE 55
    53173 BONN
    GERMANY.

I did try writing to the Gemeinschaft De Jagdflieger which is the German Fighter Pilots association but they will only reply to you if you write letters to them in German, as i cant read or write German i have just used the Luftwaffenring which is a very helpful organisation. They may be able to tell you who to write to regarding Army RK holders. I do have the address of RK holder Hermann Hogeback somewhere and will try and find it out as he is one you could start with to get collection off the ground-thats if he hasnt passed away-an internet search can confirm this usually as im sure there will be information on him on the net. Lastly, its no problem helping you at all and this is what Warelics Forum is all about, helping eachother out where possible and its no problem at all Joe. Also thanks for the friends request which i have accepted! Will try and find that letter from Hermann with his address on for you. Also if you would like to add Gunther Rall to your collection i do have a spare handwritten note with full signature on personalised card stationary regarding a meeting between us a few years ago but havent a clue as to what it might be valued at???? I will be in touch again soon and best regards, Tim.

?

Hi, Joe. I wrote to Otto Carius last year and he sent me an autographed picture as well as some additional information regarding his wartime service. As far as I know he is still alive. Cass

Joe,

I do not want to "rain on your parade" and trust that your intentions are sound but please be advised that a lot of these guys are all getting a bit frail now (even some of the really hardy ones who are still alive) so don't be surprised if you get quite a low response.

A lot of them do still appreciate correspondence but in the last 5 years the number of responses that you could expect have diminished and I have even had a response from a spouse (wife) to inform me that their husband had recently passed away.

Sorry for the tone of this reply but, it has to be said and,I wish you luck.

Post Re: Write a letter to RK receiver

Dear Tim,sawman,Bochmann:

Thanks so much for you gents reply and advice!

I’m actually still a student, and I wish I was born early so I have more chance to get contact with those veteran.

English and German neither are my first language, so it will be kind of challenge for me to write a letter to those RK receiver, and I know I might not going to get many reply from them, but I will still keep on trying, now’s day young people do not have such interest on history anymore, so somehow I think it’s really a meaningful thing to do, just hope everything will go smoothly...

If there will be only one reply, I will still be a happy man, and I just hope they won’t feel get bother because of my letters.

Best regards
    Joe

?

Joe,

I have written to over 800 RKT and other German veterans , the best thing to do is just write a simple letter introducing yourself , expressing your interest in them and the History of WW2 and asking for a signed photograph . Keep it simple most of them are no longer prepared to answer lots of questions as this has all been done before so many will send a prepared history of themselves instead . Do not ask political questions or ask for some souvenir from them this is a complete no no and you will probably get no reply and remember that many are old and frail and recieve many such requests so it may be months before you get a reply.

It is better to write in German but English will do as many have younger family members who help with their correspondance who are fluent in English.

Always send some money 5 or 10 euros to cover their postage back to you and the cost of printing photos etc it shows a great disrespect to expect something for nothing from them.

You may not have got replies from other forums as a lot of signature collectors are reluctant to give out addresses to those they do not know or who have posted very little of a forum , many like myself have spent years building up the trust of German veterans and this can be spolit by giving an address to someone who them writes abusing the RKT or veteran , calling them a Nazi or asking to by any items they still have etc etc, unfortunately this does occur and has in the past when addresses have been given out . The signature world is not a closed shop but addresses are not usually bandied about on the net as i'm sure you will have realised.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast