Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it wrong to wear WW2 original?

Article about: Howdy everyone, I just bought an ok condition M43 field Jacket. Its early production with the OD 3 lining, also the top button is cracked. Is it wrong to wear it? Also can I switch the top a

Default Is it wrong to wear WW2 original?

Howdy everyone,

I just bought an ok condition M43 field Jacket. Its early production with the OD 3 lining, also the top button is cracked. Is it wrong to wear it? Also can I switch the top and bottom most buttons to make it more usable?

Thanks everyone for the help.

I wouldn't personally. Its yours to do what you like, but they aren't making originals any more. If you want one to wear get repro!

I'm inclined to go with Nathan these days. 70 years after the fact is a Long time to be using old cloth. Sure, back in the 60's and such we all wore surplus gear around-it was cheap,sturdy and warm...but now? The values have steadily increased on US stuff to the point where it just isn't practical anymore. A few years ago, I had a friend proudly show me a US visor hat they had, and I thought to myself "Okey..It's just a cap...?", until I looked up the Prices they were getting for them now. I was amazed. And we used to wear them around for fun and to keep the sun out of our eyes... go figure. Jonathan Winters used to wear around a U-Boat captain's leather coat for a joke... So, to answer your question, I wouldn't recommend wearing 7 decades old jackets. Even if they look to be in good condition, they're Still 70 years old and getting more fragile by the years. Heck....how often do you see Viet Nam era rigs being worn anymore today? People are finally catching on, I think!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

You want to play soldier join the army or a re-enactors group. Leave fragile, antique and collectible uniforms for museums/collectors.

?

Not only can WWII material be valuable, it can be fragile ....and musty smelling.

Depending on the source, you can get most excellent repro jackets, which will be sturdy and well made and will last you many years.

Go repro in this case.

Good luck. We want pics.

Like a lot of people I wear army surplus kit, only while it is still considered surplus as there comes a point when that is no longer the case and when that happens it is best to treat it with the care that older items deserve. As William mentioned a lot of people used to wear Nam era gear but no longer and once it gets past 20 years old or so it is time to stop wearing it. Even some of the items I used to wear for digging which were common 20 years back are now collectable, witness post war German camo gear which used to really common is not so often seen these days or the Austrian kit of a similar era.

If you really like the style, buy a repro and wear that IMHO because otherwise some A hole will spill beer on it or worse.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Wearing original items would only help to deplete a rapidly depleting stock of original equipment. In this day and age there is no excuse for wearing original equipment anyway. The reproduction items are so damned-good most people wouldn't even notice the difference.

Hi,

I hope I don't offend anybody here.
    Personally I do like to wear WWII or other military style clothing, especially at shows, or watching movies at home.
    I just like to enjoy my kit, makes me comfortable. Some of my collector friends jokingly that "you are so sick to the point that you're at the final stage of cancer!".
    The problem with myself is I'm a small individual, it is very tough for me to find small sized replica, at least in Japan.
    The only way is to look for original stuff that is my size. (I collect large size uniforms too.)
    Here are some of my examples:

U.S. Navy.jpg

TR.jpg

U.S. Mt Troop.jpg

Regards,
    Taka

I do not wish to offend you. But any talk of that most dreadful of illnesses - cancer, is certainly no laughing matter.

?

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    I hope I don't offend anybody here.
    Personally I do like to wear WWII or other military style clothing, especially at shows, or watching movies at home.
    No offence what so ever.

All are entitled to their opinion and those of us, who are in the 'wear repro and conserve the originals' camp, are allowed to express an opinion, as are those who like to wear their WWII clothes on a regular basis.

The operative word being 'their.'

Its your clothes to use as you see fit. You paid for them.

Great pics BTW.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast