Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Is it wrong to wear WW2 original?

Article about: Howdy everyone, I just bought an ok condition M43 field Jacket. Its early production with the OD 3 lining, also the top button is cracked. Is it wrong to wear it? Also can I switch the top a

PM...what is the pistol gripped gun in the display case that you show? Is it an issue weapon or has it been extensively reworked in the field?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    PM...what is the pistol gripped gun in the display case that you show? Is it an issue weapon or has it been extensively reworked in the field?
    It's a Reising Model 55 with wire stock!....

?

I have not yet included anything in my collection that fits my size, so i am alittle envious when i see Taka can put on these items for photographical reasons.

Ah! The Tanker's friend! Not too often seen! And in Great condition,no less!
    (I remember many years ago, they used to always have the M-50's for sale for 200 dollars...I was always tempted to buy one)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    If you wish to wear it for the right reasons and on rare occasions, a living display at a militaria event for example and it fits you comfortably then I don't see a problem as long as you take good care..

If you wish to wear such items casually or for re-enacting then I ask why you would want to ruin historical artefacts when there are so many good suppliers of repro kit that can be used in place of the originals?

It's a no brainer.

For once, I agree with you Steve!

(I must be getting senile in my old age mate!)

Seriously though, like a lot of us on the forum, I have not only "worn the kit for real!" but also as "work kit", in "scruff order" and any other variation that you care to name, heck, my youngest son still uses one of my old British army DPM combat smocks that I was issued in about 1982!!
    I used to wear a BD blouse when I was at school a la Kemp brothers (Spandau Ballet fan!) I used to wear a modified lightweight Italian army combat smock, when they used to practically give them away, as a liner under my British army combat smock.

What I am trying to say, as Steve and a lot of other's have said, ultimately, it is down to personal preference whether to wear an original or "leave it on a hanger/manaquin" and wear a repro. Would I wear an original? Depends, but, more than likely, the answer would be a definate NO.

Webbing is a whole different ball-game though, purely and simply because of it's, usually, very rugged construction.

Just my 2pennorth guys.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

This is a photo of a Luftwaffe high altitude flight suit....I posted it a few years ago. A local vet got it and some other items at the end of the war in a large warehouse. He took some summer flying suits, two pair fleeced flying boots, some second pattern fallschirmjager boots, among other items. He and his son wore this suit and boots in cold weather. The son wore it to school and to work... needless to say it is worn out...but the summer suits are mint not ever worn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Nigel, I really can't see why you linked what I have said to someone dressing up in uniform. I really couldn't give a damn what people choose to wear. I didn't respond sooner, because I didn't wish to start an argument. But it looks as though others have picked up the bad vibes. I have lost many of my family to cancer, and I don't recall any tears of laughter when it happened.
    You are a pompous a##hole! My post had nothing to do with cancer nor did Shindenkai's! As a 15 year cancer survivor I don't need any dressing down from a w#nk#r like you so you and your PC friends can go bake some cookies and go thru menopause for all I care.... what a bunch of petty old women! Shame so few have any sense of humor as this thread was light hearted till you got a hold of it. I stand by my post with absolutely NO apology to you or anyone else.

Sad to see this one go off the rails as it was an interesting subject. Closing it for now, perhaps permanently. Don't bother to PM for a right to reply.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Permanently should be the case Jerry. Many thanks.

Sigh...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4