MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Veteran who was left for dead at Passchendale medals to be sold.

Article about: Another interesting but also sad tale of a Veterans's medals being sold by a family member. I hope Major Robert Collie MBE's belongings go to a collector who will value and appreciate them T

?

That is a shame!!!
    I had a great friend (who has since past of cancer)who told me about his WW2 navy vet neighbor who wanted him to have his collection of WW2 souvenirs. This vet was in a seven destroyer fleet that entered the bay out side of kokura Japan. They went ashore and took control of the arsenal there. The Admiral in charge of this task force gave every man in that fleet a (long sword)Katana, (short sword)wakazashi and a rifle(The vet got a type 44) all from the arsenal(CHERRY condition)!!!!!. I told the gent what they could be worth and he said his kids didn't want any of that stuff. So he sold my friend his collection. I had told the gent that the wakazashi was older and could be worth a lot . He didn't care. So after my buddy buys this from him, My Buddy let me check out the wakazashi and it was signed by Umetada myoju.!!! He is the creator of the shinto sword era. I let him know and he tells the Vet that this sword is worth A LOT of Cash. The vet doesn't care , But when the vets kids found out, they wanted it back. NOW it was something of interest to them$$$$$$$$.
    Sometimes this stuff pisses me off!!!! OH ITS WORTH SOMETHING!!!! Yea we better keep it(SELL IT)
    I hope the Major's items do make there way to somebody who really can appreciate it.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I've heard of cases where a veteran has passed on and the family has divided the medals up, so everyone gets one each.
    I find that a bit odd, and think they should remain together.

Cheers, Willie.

William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Guys if it wasn't for guys like this we wouldn't have any new treasures to post . Let's just hope the new owner will care for them . Gary

"I hope Major Robert Collie MBE's belongings go to a collector who will value and appreciate them"
    That is what happens to must of our stuff!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Jesus-a life of the hardest service to your country worth all of 1200 quid...
    Exactly my thoughts when I buy medals, mostly for less at flee markets....
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I wish I could afford to buy them, an awe inspiring group steeped in history. A shame that his family don't want to keep them.
    Normally I would agree with you - I certainly do about the fact that the family will miss out on an historic heirloom.

But the gentleman who is selling is 75, not 45 and actually may need the money.

If this is indeed the case, I do not begrudge him this opportunity.

Cheers
    Tim

?

Difficult to imagine the hardship, that the veteran suffered; the War, being severely wounded and the loss of both brothers and a sister.
    Must have been almost too much to take in.
    Sad, that his belongings are sold and for such a (relatively) small amount. One does not sell items like this belonging to a family member.
    I hope the medals and documentation at least stay together.

I think it is very sad that no one in this amazing mans family feel that his medals are worth keeping. I understand that many of our collectables find their way to us because various family members decide that these things are not wanted but it is still a sad state of affairs. I can tell you all that while I have breath in me not one of my family members medals will ever be up for sale and I am instilling this feeling into my daughter in as strong a way possible by making sure she understands what they represent. She already knows that our family history is not for sale.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I think it is very sad that no one in this amazing mans family feel that his medals are worth keeping. I understand that many of our collectables find their way to us because various family members decide that these things are not wanted but it is still a sad state of affairs. I can tell you all that while I have breath in me not one of my family members medals will ever be up for sale and I am instilling this feeling into my daughter in as strong a way possible by making sure she understands what they represent. She already knows that our family history is not for sale.
    Well said, sandgroper. I think most of the younger generations who might not show an interest in such things, eventually will. It might not happen until they are in their 40's or 50's, so it's good if these family things can remain intact until such time that someone is prepared to take the heritage on for themselves.
    I often wonder if the future family caretakers of medals will know the difference between the original awards and all the recent ones given out. A lot of Diggers came home from the war with just the three medals, but that's grown quite a lot in the last ten years.

Cheers, Willie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast