Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WW2 Bomb kills German construction worker

Article about: Loads of scary UXOs out there. Food for thought in all the info in the posts/links above. After the war Mustards Gas was also dumped in huge quantities in the Baltic Sea. This has come back

?

Loads of scary UXOs out there.

Food for thought in all the info in the posts/links above.

After the war Mustards Gas was also dumped in huge quantities in the Baltic Sea.
    This has come back to haunt generations of fishing crews ever since.

The US dumped Chemical warfare ordnance in the Pacific and the Atlantic Ocean for years, but later went for ground storage and eventually destruction.

William, I thought not much could penetrate the U-boat pens and in the case of Lorient, which operated till the end in spite of heavy bombing, that was certainly the case, but man did they do a job on the Valentin U-boat pens (pic below. In the latter a person is sitting next to the cavern-like hole punched through the pen. Gives a good impression of the scale)!

Check out the impressive footage of a Grand Slam being dropped on a target here:
    Grand Slam bomb - YouTube
    To say the target was demolished, would be an understatement.

I learned a new word today (I knew of the concept, but never heard the term before).

Todays word is 'CAMOUFLET!'

Camouflet | Define Camouflet at Dictionary.com

noun

an underground explosion of a bomb or mine that does not break the surface, but leaves an enclosed cavity of gas and smoke.

the pocket formed by such an explosion.

the bomb or mine so exploded and causing such a pocket.

Origin:
    1830–40; < French: literally, smoke blown in someone's face as a practical joke, Middle French chault moufflet, equivalent to chault hot (< Latin calidus ) + moufflet presumably “puff, breath”; compare Walloon dial. moufler to puff up the cheeks; 1st syllable probably conformed to the expressive formative ca- (see cabbage1 )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scout; 01-07-2014 at 10:32 AM.

I like the bit about the Grand Slam that was on display by the gate of the RAF Air base in Scampton. It was displayed for 15 years before they realized it was still Live...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Yes, I just re-read about that one in regards to this thread.

I stumbled over it being mentioned when reading up on the Grand Slam.

Was the live GS near the base genuine or a hoax - did anybody ever find out?

I've always heard that it was true....it sounds too stupid to Not be true...lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hahah, right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3