Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Movies

Article about: Hi all Just wondering if anybody knows any good ww2 movies other that the obvious ( Saving private Ryan, bridge too far, Patton, and the other well know films) any help would be good. Morris

Talking WW2 Movies

Hi all
    Just wondering if anybody knows any good ww2 movies other that the obvious ( Saving private Ryan, bridge too far, Patton, and the other well know films)

any help would be good.

Morris

Default Re: WW2 Movies

Went the day well and the life and death of colonel blimp are both classics, period made with a propaganda slant as is the Spy in black.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

This is a cracking war film:
    Fortress of War

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

'It happened here' is a good one - more an alternative history and social commentary on what if Germany occupied England?
    And in recent times, 'Enemy at the Gates' is a favourite.
    Dan

?

Try these...

"Lidice" aka "The Fall of the Innocent" (Beautifully produced account of the reprisals following Heydrich's assassination),
    "The Grey Zone" (A dark, but well made account of life in the Sonderkommando at Auschwitz),
    "A Woman in Berlin" (About life for the women of Germany, amidst the marauding Soviets at the end of the war),
    "Napola" (Simply a must see, tells the story of a young man's journey from school boy to elite school member pressed into front line service),
    "Das Boot" (Very well known, but if you haven't seen it, you should. Arguably one of the best ever),
    "Downfall" (Another that is very well known, but again, if you haven't seen it, you should. Bruno Ganz is excellent as Adolf Hitler),

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Welcome to the forum Morris.

4md
    ?

Stalingrad is still one of my favorites, if you hav'nt seen it

Here's a list I found, I still have to look through it though -
    The 50 greatest World War II movies with Time Out Film - Time Out London

If you want to vomit, watch Swing Kids... Based on somewhat true events, but HORRIBLE! It takes place right before the war. I like Band of Brothers as a mini-series, but you've probably already seen it. Wind Talkers is based in your neck of the woods, but the special effects go a little too far IMO. I like WW2 in color as a documentary, but was disappointed with Apocalypse: The Second World War.

In no particular order, I also liked these war films:

'The Train' ( Burt Lancaster )

'Gallipoli' ( Mark Lee, Mel Gibson )

'To Hell And Back' ( the recreated exploits of the US Army's
    most decorated soldier of WWII, starring Audie Murphy )

'The Sand Pebbles' ( Steve McQueen, Richard Attenborough )
    Regards,

Steve.