Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWI items are to go up in value?!

Article about: Hi guys! We can all agree that lot of factors can influence the value of any given item... My question is this: Considering that the 100th anniversary of the begining of WWI is in 2 years ca

?

Default Re: WWI items are to go up in value?!

Check out this thread started a couple of years back.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ww1-a...ilitaria-7064/

Basically I asked the same question with 5 years to go ....

I personally think the 100th Anniversary will prompt a hike in WW1 items.

Gary J.

Gary...I have recently sold my Imperial German WW1 collection, and was astounded at the prices I realised on the sale of my collection, which was fairly big but not huge...It helped buy me two cars (an 05' Merc CLK and an 04' Fiat Punto Sport!), a luxury villa holiday, and a shit load of rare early BW and 57er awards...and I am still receiving monies for the left overs of the collection ! The prices/value have already tripled (if not more!) in the last couple of years for most of that periods militaria and they are still rising ! As Ade stated, if bought today they IMO would not be a good investment as I really think they have or are approaching their peak..... they may/could even fall after the Centenary !
    A very happy Steve !

?

I think there is more of a correlation between the popularity of military series/movies in the general media, and the era/conflict they depict which has a far more sustained effect in driving up prices than a relatively short spike in prices I have noticed due to the anniversary of a conflict.
    Recently there was a very sharp spike in prices for Argentinian kit around the time of the anniversary of the Falklands War. This has now settled back to pre anniversary prices, yet collectors are still paying ridiculous amounts for US WW2 Airbourne kit, for which I am sure "Band of Brothers" is responsible.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I remember the increased interest in WWII US militaria around the time of "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers"...It had a positive impact on the reenactment community for sure, as it generated interest...and prices haven't gotten cheaper.
    I believe that WWI German items will continue to see a steady increase in value/prices, although at a slightly lower rate than WWII German...just the way it's always been, really...I believe the hobby is healthy and well, and it will continue to get better as I see younger collectors joining the hobby...it's encouraging...
    ...Just my 2 cents worth, Glenn

?

Steve, I quite agree ....
    ... I think there will be a focus leading up to the 100th, ..... which will initiate a scramble and "measured" increase to suit the market interest.
    This WILL lull until the 100th anniversary of the Somme ...
    This again will draw the "public interest" .... which I feel will be gauged by the hype in "casualty" based medals of the action.

Some will view the items as pure investment, some will chase the history.

The outcome will not favour the collector.

Gary J.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Gary...I have recently sold my Imperial German WW1 collection, and was astounded at the prices I realised on the sale of my collection, which was fairly big but not huge...It helped buy me two cars (an 05' Merc CLK and an 04' Fiat Punto Sport!), a luxury villa holiday, and a shit load of rare early BW and 57er awards...and I am still receiving monies for the left overs of the collection ! The prices/value have already tripled (if not more!) in the last couple of years for most of that periods militaria and they are still rising ! As Ade stated, if bought today they IMO would not be a good investment as I really think they have or are approaching their peak..... they may/could even fall after the Centenary !
    A very happy Steve !

Valid points indeed...I do think the WWI Anniversary would have more of an impact on the European market/collector than it would in the US...just my thoughts...We soldier on no matter what
    cheers, Glenn

the only way is up,harry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2