Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Uboat in Kent river

Article about: Not sure if this has been shared already, but pretty cool IMHO, a WWI German U boat in a river in Kent. A monster off the British coast: Rusting hulk of World War One German U-boat that has

Default WWI Uboat in Kent river

Not sure if this has been shared already, but pretty cool IMHO, a WWI German U boat in a river in Kent.

A monster off the British coast: Rusting hulk of World War One German U-boat that has been marooned by Kent island for almost a century | Mail Online

A monster off the British coast: Rusting hulk of World War One German U-boat emerges after almost a century
    It is the only German submarine visible in UK waters today and is a visible reminder of the Great War
    The submarine is thought to be a Type UB I22 submarine and would have carried 10 torpedoes
    After the war the German UB-122 was initially stripped of its internal metal engines to be used for scrap metal
    The wreckage can still be seen beached in a remote area of mudflats on the banks of the River Medway in Hoo, Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Was featured in the popular BBC TV series 'Coast'-was shown here in Oz recently.

An amazing sight!

It was recently featured on an episode of 'Coast'

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

That's unreal!

?

Wow!!

mpw
    ?

Well I never! I can see the Hoo peninsula from where I live and never new the U boat was out there. Thanks for posting.

Mark.

neat

?

I went for a job interview about 20 years for the Council which includes Dartmouth in Devon. The Council official I was talking to referred to one of their recreation grounds once being a costal inlet and it was filled in with rubbish. Buried along with a lot of other things were some German U Boats which had been tied up in the inlet.
    I think he said that they were from WW1 and the west German Government had made a request to carry out an exploratory dig but permission had been declined. I don't know how accurate this story is.

I have been out to her 5 or 6 times over the years and salvage a few bits that was missed by the salvage men.infact there are 2 uboats there,the other is a short distance away but badly broken up.

I'd be inclined to go down there often to salvage interesting
    bits and pieces - if I lived anywhere near there - which
    would find honoured places on my shelves.

History rusting away by the day.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast