Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWI Uboat in Kent river

Article about: Not sure if this has been shared already, but pretty cool IMHO, a WWI German U boat in a river in Kent. A monster off the British coast: Rusting hulk of World War One German U-boat that has

According to Bodo Herzog, Deutsche U-Boote, 1906-1966, the UB-122 was turned over to the British on 24 November 1918, and was stranded in 1921 while being towed to a ship breakers on the British East Coast. Erich Gröner provides the same information but neither author provides the wreck's coordinates. I'm surprised that the British have any doubts as to the boat's identity since it was under their control when she grounded. Dwight

I never knew about this, cheers for posting Jerry!....

The period immediately after WW1 saw a great number of warships of various types being scrapped, both ex RN and captured/surrendered vessels-not entirely surprising that a certain amount of 'haziness' crept in to records that may not have been seen as important at the time.

Walkwolf theres plenty of the old Thames mud to get across first.

The hull looks better than U534 since those idiots on the Wirral cut it into bits to allow disabled access! that's my daughter at the other end of the engine room. What they did to that sub was a sacrilege!

DSCF4702.jpgDSCF4705.jpgDSCF4698.jpgDSCF4683.jpgDSCF4689.jpgDSCF4712.jpg

they have not done any preservation work inside,disgusting,bloody fools.

?

"What they did to that sub was a sacrilege!" - HARRY THE MOLE

Sad, but very true Harry...

I am very grateful that I was able to enjoy several private tours on the boat, long before they took the saw to her.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Thanks too to Jerry for posting the original piece addressing the WWI sub - amazing...

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I have been out to her 5 or 6 times over the years and salvage a few bits that was missed by the salvage men.infact there are 2 uboats there,the other is a short distance away but badly broken up.
    Are any photos possible… were you able to get any by chance? What a neat opportunity to see one of these things and have the time to explore it. The only one I have been on (U-352 from WWII) is 90 to 100 feet below the surface, and you have 15 minutes down time to see it before having to surface in SCUBA gear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2