Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Paratrooper recovered from the Nederlands

Article about: As an idea as to the "wreckage" left behind ... It is believed that after the war, the farmer of DZ "K", bundled the leftovers into one of the drainage ditches on the mea

Default WWII Paratrooper recovered from the Nederlands

Discovered last week and posted in the Dutch news.

DutchNews.nl - World War II parachutist's body found near Arnhem
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default Re: WWII Paratrooper recovered from the Nederlands

Lets hope there is some ID evidence with the remains ..

Gary J.

?

It is good that he has been found and can be laid to rest with the honor that he deserves.

Interesting....But I was under the impression that metal detecting was illegal in this area of Holland; does anyone here know the laws over there regarding this?

Whatever, it's still a result for the good I think, especially if it brings closure for a family somewhere.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

There was someone detecting on Ginkel Heath last time I was there and he was doing it in the daylight, so I assume it is not illegal, though!

A good result especially if they can ID him and then give a proper burial.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Metal detecting is strictly forbidden in the Arnhem/Ede area.
    There is though a few people who are special licensed to operate in these areas, under the direction of the Government recovery units.

I believe though, that private land may not be covered by the ruling, .. but the Heath would be off limits.

(Philip, who is a forum member from Arnhem, would be able to give the full details concerning the use of metal detectors in the area).

Gary J.

Good info Gary and the person I saw appeared to be part of a team and they were placing marker flags at the places where I think he was getting a signal and I assume he was one of those you mention.
    Regards,

Jerry

It is forbidden in Arnhem/Oosterbeek, but not in Ede. However Ginkel Heath, belong to MoD if I am correct and it is also an protected archaeoligy site, the woods surrounding the heath belong to Gelders Landschap and Natuurmonumenten, and they do not allow detecting, so all with all I doubt that the person had permission, unless some archaeoligy was involved

?

I was over in 2002 when DZ "K" (Polish) was being cleared for housing.
    I met the head of the official clearance team, and he showed me some of the records of the munitions found on site to that date.
    The list was varied and "nasty" !

Items from the invasion in 1940 were turning up, through the phases of Market-Garden, and into 1945.

Some of the nastiest were the small 12.7mm (I think thats right) German HE bullet heads fired from aircraft.
    The heads could blow off your hand, and were only a couple of inches long.

Also, there was talk of a resupply container being found with nearly 1000 mills bombs onboard ... all rusted together ... and live !!!

Gary J.

- - Updated - -

Thanks for clearing that up Philip

Quote by philip ABRG View Post
    It is forbidden in Arnhem/Oosterbeek, but not in Ede. However Ginkel Heath, belong to MoD if I am correct and it is also an protected archaeoligy site, the woods surrounding the heath belong to Gelders Landschap and Natuurmonumenten, and they do not allow detecting, so all with all I doubt that the person had permission, unless some archaeoligy was involved

Your welcome Gary

Yes loads of stuff ended up in the airborne museum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast