Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are you a Purist ?

Article about: What defines in this collecting community being a Purist? 1. Is it collecting new out of the box unissued and Minty? 2. Is it a totally untouched since the war..and been there..excellent con

Default Are you a Purist ?

What defines in this collecting community being a Purist?

1. Is it collecting new out of the box unissued and Minty?

2. Is it a totally untouched since the war..and been there..excellent condition? ( Having ownership )

3. Are you a text book kind of person ?

What are your thoughts and ideas of what a Purist in this hobby resembles..and do you fit the criteria of a purist..or are you passive and accept what it is or how it appears.

I would consider myself a Purist to a certain extent..as IMO it has to show its been there. What are your thoughts on a Purist? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Sometimes Larry, you have to take what you find when
    you find it. I tend to be more of a purist, and if an item
    is original and has authentic wear I'm good with it.
    There will be instances where an item was dropped,
    and so will have a ding or a bend in it. Then there
    is a whole other deal with restored items.

Medals are such that if there is a nick on the edge, or
    a medal in a group rubbed on the obverse of the
    next in line, creating pock marks, it may affect
    value somewhat.

Today it is not impossible to find "minty" items, but
    for the most part, I see things drying up - to the
    point where mediocre items have price tags
    which were usually reserved for pieces in
    mint or excellent condition.........
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

I'm somewhat with Steve. With limited time and little network I find what I can.

But I like to have both a mix of NIB as well as the oft said, "Used and not abused" in a 25/75 split (75% being the used portion.

A nice used item has an untold story and to me that is what this is all about.

I'm not textbook unless it is obviously bad. I have seen too many of the "I can't believe the wore that" threads to understand that these non textbook items also have a story to tell.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Purist to me means complete and original as it came. Nothing mixed and matched-whether it fits or not. If the original owner carried it-it should be That way. Not so much Minty and Untouched-although there are plenty who would feel exactly that way, but "as it came and was used", is what I would usually look for. I also don't want glaring damage or corrosion or missing parts. Even if the missing part was replaced by a genuine and matched replacement piece, it would still be only to resell it, for me, at least.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I take militaria any way i can get it!...

Same thing here!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I agree with William. I think a purist is someone who wants only original, unmessed with stuff. Condition is more of a preference in that case I think, which might make a person a perfectionist purist. I'm kind of both myself. There are some things I have that aren't minty and I really enjoy them. Generally, I look to find things that are in a condition similar to what those who owned these items saw them in.

I've always had a rule about buying quality whether it's an appliance or militaria. A person will spend 75% of the value of a high quality item to get a more typical medium quality item anyway, so you're already 3/4 of the way there anyway and 3/4 invested. At least for me, I think a person is better off (and happier) in the long run to go for the better quality piece in whatever flavor of collecting they are in vs. giving into the "gotta have one, any one" urge. That's an effective way to end up with two of any given item, one that's okay, and one that's really what you were looking for to begin with.

I own nothing a purist would take, i would like too but this hobby for me and my budget is as stated as above i get what i can at a price i can afford.

Alot of Great answers Gents..,..in which none of them are wrong. Cool stuff
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I think a purist is someone who requires not only minty but 'textbook' as well which of course limits what they collect as such finds are generally few and far between.

For myself I collect whatever pleases me and I can afford. I have both mint items in my collection as well as outright balls of rust.

Ergo...
    Ostmedaille trio.jpg

For me the important issues are originality and exposure to history. Not for me the unworn Dachau collar tabs for example (no disrespect to those that love such items of course, each to their own)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast