Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Are you a Purist ?

Article about: What defines in this collecting community being a Purist? 1. Is it collecting new out of the box unissued and Minty? 2. Is it a totally untouched since the war..and been there..excellent con

Moved to discussions forum
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I have a different idea of purity, purity for me is a woodwork find of items used and then brought back from a specific theater with some traceable veteran or owner provenance. Purity to me is something un-messed with, non polished up, in a natural state, that exhibits age and history to some degree. That is not to say I do not find pristine attractive and or desirable, for me it just lacks the human connection of something once fielded.
    Regards,
    John

I like what John just said.

I collect iron crosses and while I can really appreciate having a nice mint looking piece,
    I do not like ones that have been all polished up and / or repainted. I own several that
    have (period) repaired catches or jump rings and even a few with heavy damage. To me
    that helps show the age and the history of the cross. I try to buy the best pieces I can but
    I have also passed over some fine crosses only to pick one up that has heavy patina or some
    damage and IMO more character. After all--it is about the history.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I used to ride my bicycle to the Patton Museum and go through their garbage dumpster looking for catalogs or anything useful...when I began collecting as a kid, almost all of my finds were from the garbage, lol ...
    cheers, Glenn
    But, my friend, this statement applies to virtually all we collect, because in the III. Reich realm, it was all garbage after 1945, though perhaps less to the soldiers who fought
    against Schicklegruber.

I am not a dagger collector, but am I allowed to answer?

Here, I mean?

- - ------- - -

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Moved to discussions forum
    Does this mean that all can comment, then, or is this query intended for edged weapons collectors?

I do not collect edged weapons.

2-format35 copy.jpg440px-Durer_Revelation_Four_Riders copy.jpgprag-teaser-BM-Berlin-Hanau.jpgKapuzinergruft_Wien1.jpgWien_-_Kapuzinergruft,_Maria-Theresia-Gruft_(1).jpg
    Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I think a purist is someone who requires not only minty but 'textbook' as well which of course limits what they collect as such finds are generally few and far between.

For myself I collect whatever pleases me and I can afford. I have both mint items in my collection as well as outright balls of rust.

Ergo...
    Attachment 912263

For me the important issues are originality and exposure to history. Not for me the unworn Dachau collar tabs for example (no disrespect to those that love such items of course, each to their own)
    I associate myself with the above. A nice photo essay.

The wrack and ruin piece has its own poetry, to be sure.

IMG_0937.jpegIMG_0933.jpgIMG_0935.jpgAttachment 912704019-1.jpgpublishable.jpgWolgemut_-_1493_-_tanz_der_gerippe.jpgP1050417.jpeg2015-08-19 18.06.28 copy.jpgI own many mint things, but objects with patina and wear have their own place, and I do not eschew them out of some prissy affect.

I have collected for fifty three years, and in this process, my views have evolved.

The dogmas of some here I find artificial and too restricted, but then I am not in the mainstream and do not really buy these things as an investment.

They became that by accident, really.

My desire has always been for a connection to the past, and to understand fully the object in its context.

In this dimension, I am a purist, that I see the thing as a tangible link to a vanished world.

I am a bitter enemy of the idea of "textbook," especially as I find this term used by persons who have no great comprehension of these items or

their real story.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    But, my friend, this statement applies to virtually all we collect, because in the III. Reich realm, it was all garbage after 1945, though perhaps less to the soldiers who fought
    against Schicklegruber.

I am not a dagger collector, but am I allowed to answer?

Here, I mean?

- - ------- - -

Does this mean that all can comment, then, or is this query intended for edged weapons collectors?

I do not collect edged weapons.
    All can comment....as originally my thought was for it to be for edged weapons because of some hardliners in the past.......but because of some great replies..it is well deemed and moved to the discussion forum for all collectors of these artifacts of many facets. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    All can comment....as originally my thought was for it to be for edged weapons..but because of some great replies..it is well deemed and moved to the discussion forum.
    Thank you, dear friend, and all the best of the season to you. Thanks for another year of your fine stewardship and guidance amid all the challenges of our joint inquiry.

Hi Glenn, as promised, I post some pictures of the diving helmet, plus belt and knife, Regards, Juan
    Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I used to ride my bicycle to the Patton Museum and go through their garbage dumpster looking for catalogs or anything useful...when I began collecting as a kid, almost all of my finds were from the garbage, lol ...
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3