Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3in mortar round restoration

Article about: I was just given a mortar round like these (my boss was cleaning out his garage and knew I collected Militaria (and also my grandfather was in the RAOC in WWII)) and was interested in refurb

Default 3in mortar round restoration

Thought you might like to see this 3in mortar round i have just restored,Was in heavy pitted condition when i got it ,i had to buy a fuze adapter/gain and a no162 fuze but these didnt cost much and im pleased with the results
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3in mortar round restoration   3in mortar round restoration  

3in mortar round restoration   3in mortar round restoration  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3in mortar round restoration
    P
    Many

Default Re: 3in mortar round restoration

spotter,

Nice to see you my friend! I commend you on a fantastic job restoring that mortar round. Well Done!

Regards,

Joel

Thanks for compliments Joel,since i took the last photos i have worn and discoloured the stencilling and they blend in nicely with the rest of the paint job and dont look new
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3in mortar round restoration  

?

Hi spotter,

could you describe step by step how you proceeded with the restoration and the products and tecnique you used?
    Seems like a fantastic job!

as you can see it was in a sorry state when i got it ,apart from heavy rusting/crusty stuff the tail was rotted and there was no fuze adapter/gain or fuze..
    I removed the tail and cleaned the body using a wire cup brush on my angle grinder,this took it to the bare metal
    I used 2 part filler and covered the body in it,i sanded it back untill it was the correct shape,
    sprayed it with grey primer hen lightly sanded again to show any high or low spots which would need correcting.
    Once i was happy with the body finish ,i first sprayed with re oxide primer then sprayed some gloss gold coloured paint on,this was too harsh so i then lightly sanded the gold and then gave a very thin and patchy coat of matt black,this allowed the gold to just shine through.
    To finish the body i used a walnut coloured varnich,when dry this along with the other layers of colour made it look like the original bronzy coloured varnish.
    I bought an adapter/gain and a no162 fuze to finish off the body,,The tail was replaced with a spare i had
    I painted the nose green using matt model kit paint(sorry cant remember exact colour) the red band was again matt red model paint ,
    The stencils i made myself using word on the computer,once printed i covered the stencils with sticky plastic sheet so i could use them again if needed,then cut them out,it takes ages to cut out.
    I used matt white paint for the stencils .
    Once all the paint had dried to age the round ,i lightly rubbed over the whole round with fine wire wool ,then using a dirty cloth (oil mud etc) i gave it a wipe over..This made the round look age worn rather than brand new refurbished

now the bit some of you will not like,i drilled 3 holes in the none displayed side to instantly prove it is empty and safe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3in mortar round restoration  

Call to arms
    ?

Excellent work. You must have the patience of a saint, thank you for sharing I will have a look at your site

Hi spotter
    You are the man for this job, I commend you highly what a difference
    it make when the job is done right. well done, did you have other fins to put on it or did you buy a set? i bet it displays well.
    panzer 3 dave.

appie
    ?

Here is my mortar round. It looks the same, but mine is missing the detonator. This one was found in a barn in Belgium, I just cleaned it up a little. Is this a 3 inch too?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3in mortar round restoration   3in mortar round restoration  

3in mortar round restoration  

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi spotter
    You are the man for this job, I commend you highly what a difference
    it make when the job is done right. well done, did you have other fins to put on it or did you buy a set? i bet it displays well.
    panzer 3 dave.
    sorry for not replying Dave,i had forgot about this post..I had a spare set of relicy but complete fins for it..

Appie have a look on the body you should find some stampings or if lucky raised cast letters saying something like 3in 10lb mor or similar.The cap is wrong thats for a 2 inch mortar round.looks in nice condition.

Very nice work on the resto.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast