Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on styling a NVA cap

Article about: Hello gentlefolks! I have with me a size 56 cap from the East German NVA. The internal label says "1856 H" for any who may be curious. At the moment I haven't got a photo of my hat

Cool Advice on styling a NVA cap

Hello gentlefolks!

I have with me a size 56 cap from the East German NVA. The internal label says "1856 H" for any who may be curious.

At the moment I haven't got a photo of my hat on hand, but it's a field gray cap with white piping around the top, a cheaply made cockade and a fake plastic chin-strap. I purchased it with the intention just to wear it around, but first I wanted to make some modification to it.

What I wanted to ask today is whether or not anyone is familiar with how to style or "Crush" a peaked cap with a solid visor into something that approaches what most people would think of when the words "Crusher Cap" are brought forth. I don't want to totally ruin my hat by doing it, but I do want to alter it's appearance.

I've read a couple short threads that alternately suggest steam or boiling water, but neither seems viable to me.

I've already started by removing the metal band from the inside that keeps the hat filled out (and keeps it so taut it won't stay on my head).

Does anyone know where I should go from here?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice on styling a NVA cap
    P
    Many

Default Re: Advice on styling a NVA cap

Quote by Aldarith View Post
    Hello gentlefolks!

I have with me a size 56 cap from the East German NVA. The internal label says "1856 H" for any who may be curious.

At the moment I haven't got a photo of my hat on hand, but it's a field gray cap with white piping around the top, a cheaply made cockade and a fake plastic chin-strap. I purchased it with the intention just to wear it around, but first I wanted to make some modification to it.

What I wanted to ask today is whether or not anyone is familiar with how to style or "Crush" a peaked cap with a solid visor into something that approaches what most people would think of when the words "Crusher Cap" are brought forth. I don't want to totally ruin my hat by doing it, but I do want to alter it's appearance.

I've read a couple short threads that alternately suggest steam or boiling water, but neither seems viable to me.

I've already started by removing the metal band from the inside that keeps the hat filled out (and keeps it so taut it won't stay on my head).

Does anyone know where I should go from here?
    This is rather stylish don't you think?? Sort of pseudo-luftwaffe, you'll look great!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Advice on styling a NVA cap 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    This is rather stylish don't you think?? Sort of pseudo-luftwaffe, you'll look great!!
    I fell off my chair and spilled a drink...

You could loose the sideburns Ned.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    You could loose the sideburns Ned.........!

Nahhh, they accent the cap!! haha

I think I'd end up more of a Luft-waffle if I went for that look!

I did intend to replace the nasty chinstrap, but I hadn't considered a chain - Well, I'm off to the hardware store!

Sideburns??? ..........I thought it was gerbils licking his ears!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "