Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Asbestos in World War 2 gas mask

Article about: Hi there, I have to admit that I'm rather new to collection of war memorabilia so I'll apologise in advance for the ignorance of my question. I purchased a WW2 respirator at a 1940's weekend

mightyug
    ?

Default Asbestos in World War 2 gas mask

Hi there,

I have to admit that I'm rather new to collection of war memorabilia so I'll apologise in advance for the ignorance of my question. I purchased a WW2 respirator at a 1940's weekend in the UK. I rather foolishly assumed that if on open sale that their would be no health risks related with the item. When conducting further research I discovered that asbestos was used in the filters of gas masks in WW2 and no one particularly knows which ones. I've not worn the mask but have had it in the house and so on.

Is there anyone out there who can identify for me if the gas mask does indeed contain asbestos or not? Any advice offered would be greatly received.

ThanksAsbestos in World War 2 gas maskAsbestos in World War 2 gas maskAsbestos in World War 2 gas maskAsbestos in World War 2 gas maskAsbestos in World War 2 gas mask.

2. # ADS

MAP
    ?

will wait for people in the know about gas masks to respond, however based on what I've been told, if it does contain asbestos, it should be fine as long as it is not aggitated so that loose particles begin to be come airborne. If left static in a display it should be fine.

Just don't wear it!

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I agree with MAP, as long as you don't wear it or disturb the inside of the filter it should be fine. If you are really concerned, keep it stored, double bagged.

Steve.

I seem to remember Ade saying that filling the filter with a type of epoxy resin or similar such substance was a way of sealing in any nasty, cancer-causing-agonising-death particles or fibres.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I have poured PVA glue into my filters, it seems to seal them up pretty well.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I have poured PVA glue into my filters, it seems to seal them up pretty well.
    You just get high on the fumes then though...........Yeah baby.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

http://www.voicetheunion.org.uk/file...ing22Oct13.pdf

Check it out, a lot of old gas masks do indeed contain asbestos!....

I think its odds on that this type of mask will contain asbestos. I have one the same and you can easily plug the holes in the filter with plastic padding or epoxy resin, its not a big problem (in fact I didnt use glue on this type due to the small holes being so easy to plug). Also welcome to the forum, and well done on your purchase.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    http://www.voicetheunion.org.uk/file...ing22Oct13.pdf

Check it out, a lot of old gas masks do indeed contain asbestos!....

So what, the real danger here is the satsuma rammed in my mouth behind the mask....How bonkers is that eh? I like living on the edge me.

Asbestos in World War 2 gas mask

Welcome and Nice Resperator,my turn to be ignorant but i never knew they made stockinet covered masks this late into the war as the black type were being issued from 1940 onwards.............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast