Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Best way to remove paint from cast iron

Article about: Gents, a question for you all... I have an item made from cast iron that has, at some stage, been painted with quite thick black paint. Do you have any suggestions on hot to remove the paint

?

Default Best way to remove paint from cast iron

Gents, a question for you all...

I have an item made from cast iron that has, at some stage, been painted with quite thick black paint. Do you have any suggestions on hot to remove the paint with no risk to the item?

Regards

Carl

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Best way to remove paint from cast iron
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Best way to remove paint from cast iron

Yes. Bead blasting. This can be done with some small hard plastic beads. It will eat the paint but not the cast iron. It's like sand blasting, without sand. You will most likely hand the item over to a guy who does this for a living. Not very expensive, but will depend on the size and complexity of the item of course.

?

Thank you Datrus, that sounds exactly what I am looking for. Appreciate the swift response too, cheers!

Carl

?

Happy to help where i can. I know they also use glass dust on aluminum because sand will eat the soft material. So if bead blasting is not an option, then maybe a glass blast is. But talk the guys.

?

I will keep it in mind when I go, thanks again.

Carl

?

For stripping ferrous metals I always use Caustic soda, this is great on things such as helmet shells with loads of non original layers of paint on them, just mix it up in a bucket and immerse your item and let the caustic do the rest, basically it dissolves the oil binders in the paint and breaks the seal the paint has with the metal surface. Finally don’t use this on Aluminium, Zinc or Pot metal because you’ll have a very hard time finding the part you’ve stripped*

Nige.

*That’s because the caustic will have eaten it! And yes I found out the hard way LOL.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    For stripping ferrous metals I always use Caustic soda, this is great on things such as helmet shells with loads of non original layers of paint on them, just mix it up in a bucket and immerse your item and let the caustic do the rest, basically it dissolves the oil binders in the paint and breaks the seal the paint has with the metal surface. Finally don’t use this on Aluminium, Zinc or Pot metal because you’ll have a very hard time finding the part you’ve stripped*

Nige.

*That’s because the caustic will have eaten it! And yes I found out the hard way LOL.
    Thank you Nige, that's super. I have a cracking item but didn't have much of an idea how to go about it restoring it but I may well give the caustic soda a go. Appreciate the advice, cheers!

Regards

Carl