MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?

Article about: I just purchased these 3 helmets and need some advice on removing the rest and making them look as good as possible. A buddy of mine told me to use CLR but I don't think he knows what the he

gregdavidson
    ?

Default Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?

I just purchased these 3 helmets and need some advice on removing the rest and making them look as good as possible. A buddy of mine told me to use CLR but I don't think he knows what the heck he's talking about. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?

Sorry for not given you the right answer, but I really love the German helmets just the way they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets? 

Quote by gregdavidson View Post
    I just purchased these 3 helmets and need some advice on removing the rest and making them look as good as possible. A buddy of mine told me to use CLR but I don't think he knows what the heck he's talking about. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello I agree with Nifartachi, BUT I would not touch any one of them. They look great, and really talk to you. You will RUIN them if you clean them.

The Soviet helmet is very, very nice the way it is. If you do not like it, send it to me. I will give you a fair price. You are very lucky to have these 3 helmets. You can make 3 display stands, and there you go, instant ostfront display!

Regards, Steve

gregdavidson
    ?

Hey Roy. How much will you give me for all 3 of them? I live in Clearwater, Florida so I won't charge you anything for shipping.

Hi I will PM you or email however this all works, I am new also. I am fairly close to you. We can talk about it : ) Regards, Steve

gregdavidson
    ?

My email address is gregdavidson727@yahoo.com

gregdavidson
    ?

Hi Steve,

I can't login to my Yahoo email for some odd reason. I sent you a link where you can download more photos of these helmets by PM. Here is the link if you didn't get it.

P.S. Please PM me with your offer if you want them.

Thanks, I got them. Are you up an running now? give a ring. Steve

I would not touch them. They are great the way they are.

Ty

I wouldn't use CLR at all... it's acidic/corrosive and can do more damage than leaving them as is.
    If you really want to remove the rust, you can use Evapo-Rust. I've used it with excellent results. Soaking the items will remove all the rust without harming the underlying metal, paint, etc.

Personally, I would clean them up with soap & water using a good stiff bristled brush. If the rust is really stubborn you could use a brass bristle brush.
    This way you will keep the patina and retain the value (both historic and monetary).

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast