Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?

Article about: I just purchased these 3 helmets and need some advice on removing the rest and making them look as good as possible. A buddy of mine told me to use CLR but I don't think he knows what the he

Default Re: Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?

Hi Greg,
    The helmets are fine, some people remove the rust ect and find they have made a very bad mistake as you will find holes all over them. The best way to keep relic helmets to except the way they are. I find that the relic helmets tell a better story than any other.
    Here is a Russian hemet i have and never cleaned. It was grave dug
    only the dirt was removed.
    Dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?
    P
    Many

I would keep them like that, looks nice.

/Mick

you can use some rust remover (smells like acid) it works for me it doesn t damage teh lid but an amazing lid wil appeir with only the pait left where it is stil there

Zahigkeit
    ?

Leave em be! They are so rusted, the more you try to remove, the more will fall off. And don't wet them at all. The metal is is like a sponge at this point. The water will get sucked up into the rust and further oxidize them. If anything, lightly brush them with a stiff brush just to take off some of the loose stuff.

I recommend you sand it down by hand with a sand paper 80, after that use a paint remover , rinse it and make sure you start the painting process with a coat of rust neutralizer to prevent new rust, if you need more help let me know.

Thumbs up Re: Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?

Look part of my work….. Let me tell you something, some times its Ok to refurbished, adding value to your collection but some times its better left alone but all depend on the damage and the stuff they have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?   Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?  

Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?   Can I use CLR to remove rust from these helmets?  

diegofer1979, Your reply above is the correct answer in my opinion. If it's worth saving by all means restore it but some relics are better left alone.

rgds, Ty

?

Also be aware that automotive body filler is porous, as basically is its ground up styrene in a resin carrier. The problem is: one this stuff shrinks with age and two it attracts moisture and holds it against the bare metal, and unfortunately adding a matt paint finish on the top of this makes the situation is even worse. There are other products such as "Miliputt" for example, which are a much harder product when set, and are impervious to moisture. In fact I did an emergency Field repair on Ade's WW2 jeeps radiator, so that he could get home from a show which is local to me, the repair last over a year before giving out.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

yes if they are rusted true then there wil be noting left

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2