Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

To clean or not to clean?

Article about: Good morning gents,I am debating wether or not to have these IJN tunics cleaned by a pro or myself or not at all.They are a lot more stained than the photos show, I know most will say not to

Default To clean or not to clean?

Good morning gents,I am debating wether or not to have these IJN tunics cleaned by a pro or myself or not at all.They are a lot more stained than the photos show, I know most will say not to because of ruining them, but I thought I would get some of your opinions. Thank you in advance. Bill.To clean or not to clean?To clean or not to clean?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement To clean or not to clean?
    P
    Many

I would accept them as they are, they bear the passage of time, service wear, smell. Chances are they've existed that way for the past 74 years, time capsules !
    Regards
    Paul

?

Just toss it in the washing machine. Tumble dry!=.
    JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING.
    Leave it as is, Or have it professionally DRY cleaned.
    And if you do, Find a cleaner who does military uniforms. (One near a base).
    They have experience with brass buttons and rank insignia.

Zooming in on that one. It does not look to bad.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Just toss it in the washing machine. Tumble dry!=.
    JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING.
    Leave it as is, Or have it professionally DRY cleaned.
    And if you do, Find a cleaner who does military uniforms. (One near a base).
    They have experience with brass buttons and rank insignia.

Zooming in on that one. It does not look to bad.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil, the back of the officers tunic has two big brown stains, that's why I got them so cheap,the pants ( NOT PICTURED) are pretty bad as well.

Let's see the damage.

I would leave them as they are, getting them cleaned removes any history that they might have. It will do nothing to enhance the value. The biggest challenge is keeping the moths away from them! Very interesting garments that don't get seen that often in the Northern hemisphere.

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    Thanks Phil, the back of the officers tunic has two big brown stains, that's why I got them so cheap,the pants ( NOT PICTURED) are pretty bad as well.
    Maybe just the stains on the back can be treated. They appear cotton, so I don't think moths are a problem. Having them dry cleaned leaves a look that they have been dry cleaned. I would suggest leaving them as is
    D.

?

Years ago I had a us Ike jacket dry cleaned . It had a terrible smell and was just nasty . They did a great job cleaning it but the shoulder patch came off . They repaired it but used neon green thread and didn't put it back in the right spot .Had the patch put back in the right spot and jacket looks and smells great . As for washing away history unless it's from a wound I would not have a problem removing stains from bad storage . That's just how I look at it Gary

Whatever stains are on there are all just part of the jackets history. I would leave the jackets as found.

Sorry Anderson I packed the goodies away,I really appreciate you guys looking and your advise and input, I decided not to have them cleaned. Thank you all. Bill.