Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning M17 gas mask

Article about: Hi, any pictures will help. Thanks. Storm Elite

Default Cleaning M17 gas mask

Hi there,

I have just bought a M17A1 gas mask with bag. It is not my first gas mask but differently from others I have It requires a good cleaning to make It look better. I tryed to ask google and I found this forum. I read some previous topics regarding similar subjet but I noticed they missed a specific explanation how to clean the mask rubber and specific tools list. I feel also to ask something specifically about this mask wich should be considered "modern" than ww2 so sorry If I opened a new topic.

This gas mask came to me in good conditions (rubbber is not creased yet) and all parts are good but mask looks a bit dirty. With no knowledge how to clean a gas mask I took a soft sponge with some water and I added some soap smoothing cleaning rubber parts but all my attempts to make It clear failed.

While rubber is wet It seems clean but when I dry It with a towel It shortly looks like before. I had also the impression that stains had been subsequently increased with cleaning (but maybe thats only an impression). At this time I am asking If the rubber can discolor or not?!

Hope you can give me an advice to make this mask look better.

Cheers,
    Storm Elite
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaning M17 gas mask   Cleaning M17 gas mask  

Cleaning M17 gas mask  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning M17 gas mask
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cleaning M17 gas mask

Welcome to the forum In all honesty I'd leave the mask as is because its not "dirty" as such, this is just the way the rubber is on many of these masks. It looks fine the way it is at the moment Also I've not come accross any of these masks that are discoloured as a result of ageing.

Thanks

Danny

Hi Danny,

thank you for explanation.
    Can you tell me whats the effect wich gave to rubber this white-matt finish?
    Mask looks also good like It is but I am asking If I could make It back to original black. Maybe there are some products wich grant protection of rubber and at the same time make it polish?

My father tought to black shoes cleaning products but I deserve some doubts about it.

Cheers,
    Storm Elite

?

Hi Storm Elite.
    Welcome to the forums.
    Now to your posting. Personally I wouldnt touch it with any shoe cleaning product.
    As Danny has said above, I would "leave it as is". If you do want to "clean" it, the only thing that I would use would be luke warm water and NOTHING else, then leave it to air dry. (This is what we were told to do with our S6 and S10 respirators when I was in the British Army) Just be aware that the head straps may dry out over time, being elasticated, there is nothing you can do about it, just donot leave them permanently under tension.

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

Hi Jimpy,

thank you for your suggestion. I will follow it and Danny's one .
    Tomorrow I will try to make a fast clean with only water and will let it air dry.

On my M17A1 head straps are made of tissue so I hope will be more solid.

Cheers,
    Storm Elite
    Last edited by Storm Elite; 09-30-2010 at 12:32 AM.

I found some parts of M17 masks manual how cleaning the mask.
    I share them so maybe they will help someone else.

Cheers,
    Storm Elite
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaning M17 gas mask   Cleaning M17 gas mask  

Hi,

can I leave the mask on this head support withour risk?

I am worried to do it with my S10 becouse of full rubber straps but M17 has tissue one.

For preservation I wouldnt advise it, however if you do want to display it like this, use small metal pins at the adjustment buckles where the strap joins to the mask. This takes the tension off of the headstraps and will prevent them from getting potentially damaged.

Thanks

Danny

Hi,

exactly have I to fix some meal support on head and link them with mask leaving straps out of tension?

I posted pictures on another thread quite some time ago that will give you the right idea, I'll have a look for it. If I can't find anything I'll get some photographs up to give you a better idea. Its very simple to do, and the only thing you need is a polystyrene display head and long metal pins.

Thanks

Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast