Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

correct paint

Article about: restoring an M40 heer helmet for my personal collection, and trying to get a good match for the correct colour was looking at RAL 6006 0R RAL 6007 is that not to far off for the correct colo

?

Default correct paint

restoring an M40 heer helmet for my personal collection, and trying to get a good match for the correct colour was looking at RAL 6006 0R RAL 6007 is that not to far off for the correct colour for an m40 factory colour not repaint.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement correct paint
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: correct paint

Quote by busman View Post
    restoring an M40 heer helmet for my personal collection, and trying to get a good match for the correct colour was looking at RAL 6006 0R RAL 6007 is that not to far off for the correct colour for an m40 factory colour not repaint.
    Hi busman
    I enjoy these paint threads.I've restored quite alot of ordnance,mainly ww1 stuff but have only done one m42 helmet.
    To be honest I used a matt shade from Humbrol model paints,I'm not quite sure which one (doesnt help i know) but the final result I got after weathering and leaving it out in the garden got it quite close.
    When restoring ordnance i ask myself...
    Do i want a 'left the factory'finish,or something that reflects the actual age of the item?
    am i trying to replicate an item as it would look now?
    I tend to get as close as i can.

Some paints used,especially during ww1 could vary quite alot between factories,especially if stuff has been in the ground-the blue clay in France/Belgium is great at preserving but can change the colour of stuff quite dramatically.
    Ive seen HE yellow that looks more orange than yellow and others that look more cream than yellow.
    RAL codes are great,they give you the base colour but dont take into concideration age,and how its been stored.This is one of the reasons i dont get too caught up in finding the 'original' colour,as sometimes it varies so much.
    Field 'grey' can look more like dark blue than grey and on some other items look very grey.
    I tend to use some watered down browns as washes to mimic a bit of grime and age.Its the same as using cold tea on some old clock faces to make them look very old.Hope you dont mind me jumping on this thread,and i have gone off course a little but i do find the subject of 'correct' paint schemes very interesting.

I did a bit of research and found some codes that cross reference. I have not tried these yet but here is what i found
    RAL 6006 - Humbrol 108 - Revell 310 or 380

Good luck

Burt

?

i thanks for reply's i went for RAL 6006. See my resto in this section m40 better pics

?

Quote by busman View Post
    i thanks for reply's i went for RAL 6006. See my resto in this section m40 better pics
    very nice,you are obviously good at what you do busman.The paint finish you have achieved is very good and nicely aged.

?

Thanks rusty for the positive comment.