Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DAK? Helmet, paint removal

Article about: Bought this yesterday just as a fun project. It had an ugly liner that I ripped out immediately, probably old bikers helmet. Annoyed from this ads?   The inside seems to have original D

?

Default DAK? Helmet, paint removal

Bought this yesterday just as a fun project. It had an ugly liner that I ripped out immediately, probably old bikers helmet.

The inside seems to have original DAK? paint inside, and the outside was first overpainted pink-metallic then black. Decided to try a small spot gently with a sponge and yes, the same brown paint came out under the pink one. I decided to stop and buy better paint stripper this week to get the best result, any tips on techniques, or brands to use? I would also appreciate opinions on the brown paint.

Sorry pics, it's very dark outside right now, I will get better ones soon.

Cheers Al

DAK? Helmet, paint removalDAK? Helmet, paint removalDAK? Helmet, paint removal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK? Helmet, paint removal
    P
    Many

DAK helmets were only painted on the outside with camo, please refer to this thread!..
    DAK helmet camo paint

Hi, as said an original DAK would not have been "factory" painted inside and out. It would have been field applied and not go under the liner band. Leon.

?

Thanks for information, isn't it possible that it could be some kind of political color like NSDAP or something? If not, do you guys think it's worth stripping this paint too, if it's from egypt? Cause it looks like original green paint underneath.

Cheers Al

If you want a lid to restore this is an ideal candidate, strip away!......

Quote by sweguy View Post
    Thanks for information, isn't it possible that it could be some kind of political color like NSDAP or something? If not, do you guys think it's worth stripping this paint too, if it's from egypt? Cause it looks like original green paint underneath.

Cheers Al
    Hi Al, it is quite possible that the original paint work is underneath all this tan, why not take it easy and "strip away" as Gunny says, worst case scenario is that you have a clean shell to re-paint( no worse than what you started with)! Happy stripping!! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK? Helmet, paint removal  

?

Haha, I will start as soon as I get some time over. What do you guys think of acetone? I've heard both good and bad opinions about using it as paint removal. What's your experiences?

It's good for delicate removal but if you are going to bare metal used a proper paint stripper, make sure you use rubber gloves and eye protection!...

?

If you can get a product called "Goof Off" is excellent for this kind of work. Use a triple 0 steel wool and rub in a circular motion and wipe with an old rag a small spot at a time.
    It is an American made product.
    Go to:
    www.goof-off-off.com
    Last edited by SteveR; 10-07-2014 at 02:55 AM.

?

Default Started

Okay, so I got myself some acetone today and started working. Found a heer decal at the right side, started coating the naked areas with vaseline and used acetone careful with a tops to proceed. This is how it looks now, will continue tomorrow. Any tips or something else I have to be careful with when liberating the decal?

DAK? Helmet, paint removalDAK? Helmet, paint removalDAK? Helmet, paint removalDAK? Helmet, paint removalDAK? Helmet, paint removal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast