Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dug up in Arromaches

Article about: Hello everyone! Just joined the forum and decided to show you all my first restoration job! This was (along with a couple other helmets I plan to do) dug up near Arromaches, the site of the

Default Dug up in Arromaches

Hello everyone! Just joined the forum and decided to show you all my first restoration job! This was (along with a couple other helmets I plan to do) dug up near Arromaches, the site of the Mulberry harbours. I believe it was part of the 352nd Infantry division's zone, so I think a field gray no decal goal would be the most accurate. Feedback is most welcome and I will keep you all appraised of my progress.
    Dug up in Arromaches
    Dug up in Arromaches
    Dug up in Arromaches

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dug up in Arromaches
    P
    Many

?

looks like it has been burned

Found in the ground?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Welcome to the forum !

If you have a 100% genuine Normandy relic for me you need to leave it as it is , as a piece of history , if you refurbish it that history is completely lost !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I agree with Paul, by all means have a play around with a relic helmet if that's what you want to do but not one that can be traced to a particular battlefield or unit etc....grab a generic one which has no particular importance, don't bugger up a good one that could be the centrepiece of a display.

+1 from me. Just imagine its history!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hang on, how can you determine whether or not it is particularly important? How does one helmet with a traceable history become less acceptable to restore than a "generic" one?

?

We are only giving our opinions of course , the helmet is yours to do with as you see fit !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Oh no I'm not arguing a certain point of view, The reason I bring it up is so I can understand why people are for or against restoration.

Quote by theredsunrising View Post
    Hang on, how can you determine whether or not it is particularly important? How does one helmet with a traceable history become less acceptable to restore than a "generic" one?
    Because an item such as this has a historical context. This helmet can be associated with a particular time and place. Therefore it can be argued that it is more historically important than a similar relic that has popped up on ebay with no more provenance or context than "this was found in Russia" or similar. Unfortunately by that point, it has lost it's location specific history As has been said, it is totally up to you what you do with it. But personally if I had proof that an item such as this came from a certain location I would leave it be as a fine historical artifact in it's own right and go and purchase a random one from the internet. Also looking at it, I bet you could find a better relic candidate for restoration Cheers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast