Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enamel repair?

Article about: I have a decoration with a big enamel chip which stands out and is noticeable. I was wondering if there's any way of repairing or covering it up some how? The enamel is red and almost transl

3mk
    ?

Default Enamel repair?

I have a decoration with a big enamel chip which stands out and is noticeable. I was wondering if there's any way of repairing or covering it up some how? The enamel is red and almost translucent. I understand jewelers can do this but I've heard many horror stories about jewelers ruin items. Has anyone attempted such a repair?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enamel repair?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Enamel repair?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Enamel repair?

I've seen nsdap party badges where the red enamel has been repaired but it has always stood out as having been messed with. I would leave it as is mate and just put it down to the riggers of time.

1. mix some epoxy resin with a matching paint and apply - later wetsand and polish.
    2. use emanel paint, let it dry (few days) - later wetsand and polish

I have had some success with small repairs, but it did involve using water paper which may not be the best idea here.
    Used Tamiya acrylic model paint, the "clear red". Apply one or two coats depending on requirement and once dry fill in the rest with layers of clear varnish.
    As you get over the rim of the edge you sand down to attain a smooth finish, then polish with rubbing compound or toothpaste.

Tom

3mk
    ?

Thanks for your replies

Normally I would leave it as is, but the damage most likely from the previous owner who kept it in a box full of other badges and buttons.

I think I'll try out the enamel paints method, I will post my results when I'm done. But in the mean time, if anyone knows any other methods please post away!

also nail polish would work and could always be removed if required.

?

You will never be able to match the patina of the original enamel, It is what it is a medal with damage, i think any attempts will leave you disappointed, personally i would'nt try it

Quote by davejb View Post
    You will never be able to match the patina of the original enamel, It is what it is a medal with damage, i think any attempts will leave you disappointed, personally i would'nt try it
    I must agree with Dave. It has its history, and that includes being damaged. I don't have any experience fixing enamel, but I can only imagine it would be next to impossible to match the patina. Ultimately, it's up to you.

3mk
    ?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I understand your views on not repairing it but, I think I will. The scan doesn't do enough justice for the award it is a lot more beautiful and the enamel is much more vibrant in person. I think the big chip ruins it, and even from a distance makes the award look unattractive. I understand the repair will most likely not look like the rest of the enamel but it will ad least look nicer in a display. I wouldn't consider the damage history as the damage was most likely caused by the previous owner and not the recipient. The way I look at it is, the recipient would want their award to be looking its best and not in a miserable state like this.

I am no expert at these kind of restorations, but I believe that it would be difficult to get the restoration to match the excisting enamel.I have seen a few enamel restorations, and I must say, that at least the restorations I have seen, It's easy to spot the restoration.

All the best
    Stig Erik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast