Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German ww2 helmet restoring

Article about: Hi War relics, I am new to this forum and I would like to ask how I can properly restore a german ww2 helmet? The one i'm eyeing is in alright condition, some rust spots here and there, ligh

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Yes well this forum section is about collecting the real thing , they are cool all of themselves. There is a forum section here where you can talk with likeminded restorers , I think that would be the place to go for such a topic.
    Thanks for telling me, my apologies for not seeing that section of the forum.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German ww2 helmet restoring
    P
    Many

I understand what you are trying to do, it's just a relic helmet in that condition would require a huge amount of work to restore it to something looking like original state.
    May I suggest there is another option. Many militaria shops online sell M40/55 helmets supplied to Finland and used up until about the 1970's. These are genuine German made helmets but have been repainted and with Finnish liner. But they can be purchased for about US$100. As such they make a good candidate for a restoration project. Worth considering.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I understand what you are trying to do, it's just a relic helmet in that condition would require a huge amount of work to restore it to something looking like original state.
    May I suggest there is another option. Many militaria shops online sell M40/55 helmets supplied to Finland and used up until about the 1970's. These are genuine German made helmets but have been repainted and with Finnish liner. But they can be purchased for about US$100. As such they make a good candidate for a restoration project. Worth considering.
    I was considering it, and I may but do you think there's a true difference comparing a ww2 M40 with the finnish one? other than the rivets on the side/chinstraps? I'm talking about shape and all

MAP
    ?

Quote by rustles View Post
    I was considering it, and I may but do you think there's a true difference comparing a ww2 M40 with the finnish one? other than the rivets on the side/chinstraps? I'm talking about shape and all
    I think many of the Finns were German shells. There are also the Norwegian helmets which are ww2 German shells.

Pick up a messed with Norwegian "German" shell and start from there (please don't take a non messed with Norwegian helmet - they are collectable in their own right)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I think many of the Finns were German shells. There are also the Norwegian helmets which are ww2 German shells.

Pick up a messed with Norwegian "German" shell and start from there (please don't take a non messed with Norwegian helmet - they are collectable in their own right)
    I looked at norwegian helmets on ebay and they are the pretty penny! I may consider the finnish helmet though. I hope i didnt concern you guys regarding the restoration idea.

MAP
    ?

Quote by rustles View Post
    I looked at norwegian helmets on ebay and they are the pretty penny! I may consider the finnish helmet though. I hope i didnt concern you guys regarding the restoration idea.
    No worries. I think the guys were just pointing you in the right direction (sub-forum).

Personally I prefer not to touch anything unless it is "conservation" (i.e. not restoration) and even then I shy away from that. But that is me.

Generally our concerns with Restoration is two fold. 1) restoring a helmet and trying to pass it off as original (not saying you ) and 2) taking a salty but original helmet and restoring it (thereby ruining any historical value).

But if you find a previously messed with lid that has lost any historical value....then personally I'm fine with that.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2