MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Glue or Solder .... ?

Article about: My second question is this ...... I have rather a nice salty Allgemeine Visor which is minus the metal cap insignia. Now, I have sent a deposit for a pair that I have been looking for which

Mackenzen
    ?

Default Glue or Solder .... ?

My second question is this ......

I have rather a nice salty Allgemeine Visor which is minus the metal cap insignia. Now, I have sent a deposit for a pair that I have been looking for which will most probably suit aged the cap.

The eagle has already been restored with 3 pins nicely back in place, but the skull has one and a half pins missing. I do have a few skull pins that I have salvaged from the past. What would be the best way to restore the skull.... ? Glue the new pins in or solder them ..... ?

Your advise please.

Regards Mackenzen

Stogruppe III Living History Society
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glue or Solder .... ?   Glue or Solder .... ?  

Glue or Solder .... ?  

2. # ADS

Mackenzen
    ?

Default Re: Glue or Solder .... ?

I like that ..... " Throw it away " Oh okay then. lol

I have never thought of that one, but what would worry me is how would these people know what the material is, you don’t want to have them using a hot soldering flame on a nice rare item, would you ..... ?

Imagine it ..... Ooops it's melted.

Regards Mackenzen

I am in to retorations, and I would sujest to glue them!
    A restoration must stay a restoration, it is not ment to fool people.
    And most important of all a restoration must be able to be do undone with out further dammaging the item.
    So it has the most positive factors, it is a restoration that may be see as one, and no risk to damage the item.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

When an insigna is made, the metal become heated because of the friction ,of the metal that has to become the insigna, and the metal of the two die parts.
    They turn to be black like they have been in a fire.
    Then the pins are being solded on the insigna, again they have to stand some heat.
    And then they go into 2 or 3 different acids, depending on the material and the finish one wants to have.
    Heating an insigna could cause a change of color, also to a eventualy patina.

cheers
    |<ris

When an insigna is made, the metal become heated because of the friction ,of the metal that has to become the insigna, and the metal of the two die parts.
    They turn to be black like they have been in a fire.

I forgot to mention that the pression put on the die can go up to 60 ton's, depending on a lot of factors; the detail , the material in wich the insigna as to be made etc.
    A die is always made of hardened steel and different layers of "smooth" and "hard" steel,to have shock absorption, so they wouldn't break under the force of the machine.

cheers
    |<ris

?

be safe... use glue!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.