Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???

Article about: Hi, I am posting better pics of a helmet I got from the Narva area. I posted pics of this helmet couple weeks ago. There was a reply in the thread that the "green" color of this he

Default Re: Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???

Interesting lid, 'Kilroy' Steve !

It obviously has been scrubbed to try and clean it of surface rust
    and dirt, but I wouldn't do anything else to it now.
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???
    P
    Many

Quote by flash developer View Post
    Hi All,
    Just like jock auld stated, this helmet is not an M40. It is an M42. M35 and M40 lids had rolled edges. This helmet does not have rolled edges and the skirt is slightly flared.
    Just wanted to clarify that.
    Thanks for the clarification Flash.....Yes indeed a M42. It was a typo when I first posted the helmet.

Regards, Steve

Hi, Kilroy!

May be it is too late, but I see on Your helmets spots of oxalic acid salt spots (not green but yellow) You need to take them off, it is very easy and Your helmet will look very good, You need to go to chemic shop and buy some 50 grams of Trilon B (EDTA DISODIUM SALT) put them in water and then put there Your helmet for half an hour, oxalic salt will be gone. I know it all because I'm cleaning helmets with oxalic acid for 10 years.

Andris

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Interesting lid, 'Kilroy' Steve !

It obviously has been scrubbed to try and clean it of surface rust
    and dirt, but I wouldn't do anything else to it now.

Thanks Steve, I really like it, improper cleaned or not. Looks great to me, and it's my only camo helmet. I have not done anything to it.....it still has roots and dirt in it from the battlefield it was found.

Here's my other German relic helmet....with a very dramatic looking bullet hole

Regards "Kilroy Steve"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???   Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???  

Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???   Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???  

Has This Helmet Been Cleaned Poorly???  

Quote by Inf Div 121 View Post
    Hi, Kilroy!

May be it is too late, but I see on Your helmets spots of oxalic acid salt spots (not green but yellow) You need to take them off, it is very easy and Your helmet will look very good, You need to go to chemic shop and buy some 50 grams of Trilon B (EDTA DISODIUM SALT) put them in water and then put there Your helmet for half an hour, oxalic salt will be gone. I know it all because I'm cleaning helmets with oxalic acid for 10 years.

Andris

Sveiki Andris!! yes, is a bit too late, but paldies for this information for the future. I also noticed the yellow color in a few spots, and have lightly wiped with a oiled rag and they have gone now. You could almost rub with your finger also and they almost disappeared.
    I will just leave the helmet alone now, it looks very good I think

Ata, Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2