Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Heer M42 helmet project

Article about: In Ken N.'s book he shows his ET74 helmet that has been welded back together. Perhaps this was a wartime modification? Either way, good luck on the restoration! Can you read the factory stam

Default Re: Heer M42 helmet project

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Really great job, Phill.........! - Though it looked good even before
    the texturing ! - I see rivets, is there a liner in it now ?
    not yet Steve just wanted to make sure they ended up the same as the lid rather than try to replicate them later, its still not quite finished i'm tossing up whether to age it and add a decal before i add the final flat clear coat, and thanks for your kind words

Cheers Phill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M42 helmet project
    P
    Many

?

Well it was worth the wait and it dont look bad at all, you might find that any decal wont really adhere right down now theres a textured finish, but theres a way around that, gently and carefully use a fine grit paper to sand down the decal area until youve taken off the sharp edges of the A/O that way the extra smoothness will allow the decal to stick better, also once youve put the decals on, you can take a fine modelling paint brush and paint over the decal with the matt clear sealer, but be extra careful here, some sealers will melt the decal, but ive found that the plastikote i advised is usually ok but it really depends on the quality of the plastic membrane used on some decals, this method also takes off the new shine on the decal and helps to age it, remember what i said about dabbing the sealer with a clean cloth wrapped into a ball, dont do this over the decal, in fact it might be better to age the helmet prior to applying them, hope this helps
    regards Dave

Quote by davejb View Post
    Well it was worth the wait and it dont look bad at all, you might find that any decal wont really adhere right down now theres a textured finish, but theres a way around that, gently and carefully use a fine grit paper to sand down the decal area until youve taken off the sharp edges of the A/O that way the extra smoothness will allow the decal to stick better, also once youve put the decals on, you can take a fine modelling paint brush and paint over the decal with the matt clear sealer, but be extra careful here, some sealers will melt the decal, but ive found that the plastikote i advised is usually ok but it really depends on the quality of the plastic membrane used on some decals, this method also takes off the new shine on the decal and helps to age it, remember what i said about dabbing the sealer with a clean cloth wrapped into a ball, dont do this over the decal, in fact it might be better to age the helmet prior to applying them, hope this helps
    regards Dave
    Another piece of advice worth its wait in Gold Dave, i was definately going to apply a decal before the final matt clear, didn't get onto Plastikote but the Humbrol I'm using is designed for plastic models so i think i should be pretty safe, Thanks again Mate i might even try the clear this arvo as it's a beautiful day here in Sunny OZ, Cheers Mate

?

Your a lucky so and so, its bloody freezing here with rain and wind, i know Humbrol is designed for plastic models, but its not really designed for the type of thin membranes used on decals, if i were you i would find something like cling film and test the sealer out on that first to see if theres any reaction, some sealers contain a petroleum base or solvent which is highly flammable therefore can melt certain substances, perhaps not hardened plastics but maybe the type used for decals

Quote by davejb View Post
    Your a lucky so and so, its bloody freezing here with rain and wind, i know Humbrol is designed for plastic models, but its not really designed for the type of thin membranes used on decals, if i were you i would find something like cling film and test the sealer out on that first to see if theres any reaction, some sealers contain a petroleum base or solvent which is highly flammable therefore can melt certain substances, perhaps not hardened plastics but maybe the type used for decals
    Great idea!! and sorry about "YOUR" weather it's 30degrees here today and gunna be even hotter tomorrow.....I'm haveing trouble keeping me Beer Cold!!

?

nothing like rubbing it in, we had hotter weather a few weeks back 90f bit changed quick

Heer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectMade my descision, just waiting for the liner to arrive.

It's looking great, congrats!

Looks good, nice fat runes. lol

Good job, Phill........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast