Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Heer M42 helmet project

Article about: In Ken N.'s book he shows his ET74 helmet that has been welded back together. Perhaps this was a wartime modification? Either way, good luck on the restoration! Can you read the factory stam

Default Re: Heer M42 helmet project

Quote by Dean View Post
    Looks great, nice job! I'm getting the sudden urge to start the helmet projects I've been lagging on lately! Thanks for the motivation!
    ~Dean
    Thanks Dean, well there's no time like the present mate I still have a couple waiting in line, bit they can wait a little longer.....maybe a bit longer...

Cheers Phill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M42 helmet project
    P
    Many

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Hey Phil I see you had fun trying to put the liner in I was tightening up the pins and washers in my M42 and I thought it was a lot like sticking your fingers in a mouse trap I dont know how many time I pinched my fingers and swore blue blazes at that helmet .Hell of a job Phil looks good on you.

Regards Mark K
    Thanks Mark, "Mousetrap" perfect analogy Lol they're a bugger aren't they! Hence the F-clamps and what not and i still had a hard time not something i'd wanna make a career of!!!

Cheers Phill

?

Here's a couple I want to refurb:
    (1) M40 Heer SD
    (2) M42 repaint
    ~Dean
    Heer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet project
    Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Thanks Mark, "Mousetrap" perfect analogy Lol they're a bugger aren't they! Hence the F-clamps and what not and i still had a hard time not something i'd wanna make a career of!!!

Cheers Phill
    I know exactly what you guys mean!LOL! The other day I ended up getting so frustrated I just stuck a folded up piece of cardboard in the loose space between the outer liner and the shell to keep the pins tight to the shell and not wobble around.
    I have two shells I want to refurb soon. The first is one I'm a little reluctant to change because it has a lot of character and about 85% original paint and visible remnants of Heer decal...if you look close enough and squint a little you can make out the swazi. It has original pins and outer liner. Also a there's a nice sized dent on the front, but I cant tell if it's period battle damage or not, there does appear to have been there for many decades.I can't make out a lot # or size stamp due to bubbling of paint but it's a large size, either 66 or 68. Do you guys think I should just leave it alone? Phill, what are your thoughts?
    The second shell is an m42 that has period replacement pins/washers w/ texture. It's a post war repaint...and poorly done, might I add. There's also a chunky cement-like texture applied sloppily. I would DEF refurb this w/out any qualms! Thanks guys.
    ~Dean
    Last edited by Dean; 12-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Yeah. leave the M40 alone. I love it the way it is!

?

Thanks Glenn, I also tend to agree. It has that "been there" look for sure.

~Dean

?

The first one i would leave well alone, theres original paint, remnants of decal, the main problems you will have trying to restore this one will be the pins, they are fairly corroded and you risk breaking them, you could try a light scrubbing on the inside with a fine abrasive scourer, just to remove the build up of flaky rust, the second one, M42 is a candidate for some restoration, you might be able to remove that awful looking paint with a paint remover and there may be a decent colour beneath but care should be taken to guage how much paint is being removed, its then a case of either repainting or if its original colour just adding a liner of the period, oh and there is a knack to replacing the pins without getting "mousetrapped"

?

Do tell Dave I am on the edge of my seat I finaly cut a bunch of wood wedges to hold the liner away from the shell and used them around the pin area.

Regads Mark K

G'day Dean, I have to agree with the other Guys on the 40, looks good the way it is and restore the 42 seeing how its been messed with anyway, look forward to seeing what you do with it Dean, keep us posted

Phill

Heer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectG'day all, My Chinstrap arrived today so i thought I'd chuck up some pics, its an original post WW2 strap which is used and looks the part its supple and more realistic than a repro and i even paid less for it than a repro!! you may notice it has a suede finish to the interior side and a roller to the buckle which isn't quite the norm but i think i can live with it.

Cheers Phill

Wow, very nice job on this.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast