Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Heer M42 helmet project

Article about: In Ken N.'s book he shows his ET74 helmet that has been welded back together. Perhaps this was a wartime modification? Either way, good luck on the restoration! Can you read the factory stam

Default Re: Heer M42 helmet project

Let's call them 1, 2 and 3

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M42 helmet project
    P
    Many

?

To be honest Phill, it all depends on whether you intend to age the helmet, all those decals have been aged, therefore the helmet needs to relate to their ageing, if you intend to gently age the shell i would pick the middle one, and so on etc, but if you do age it do it before adding the decal and blend the ages together

Quote by davejb View Post
    To be honest Phill, it all depends on whether you intend to age the helmet, all those decals have been aged, therefore the helmet needs to relate to their ageing, if you intend to gently age the shell i would pick the middle one, and so on etc, but if you do age it do it before adding the decal and blend the ages together
    Lets say i go with #2 what's a good way to Subtly age it my friend.

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    I reckon that'd be awesome Dan!! I saw one on Youtube where these guys were getting these lids out of a lake and restoring them it looked brilliant, you certainly have my permission, if you were to do it now could you still add to it again when i get the liner..etc..

Phill
    I've done the video, but for some reason its refusing to save to my computer in anything but windows movie maker format which means I'm unable to upload it anywhere..... I'll see if I can use a computer at work and re-do it on there, hopefully that should work I havent forgotten!

Thanks

Danny

Thanks Dan, i actually had a go myself with windows and i put it on youtube but i'll do another when it's totally finished, if you go to Themexicrab channel you can see it there.

Cheers Phill

?

Phill, you need to very carefully knock back the colour on the whole helmet, ie take the newish look off, but avoid too much where your applying the decal, i would use a kitchen sponge, the type that has a fine scourer on one side and gently go over the helmet, its very difficult to explain what result you will get because its a matter of personal preference, having knocked it back, i would then take the sponge side, dip it in muddy water and rub it all over then dab dry with the sponge, leave it to dry fully, clean the area where the decal goes and apply it, after its completely stuck fast for a day, take the sponge add muddy water squeeze dry and dab it over the decal and surrounding area, leave it to dry fully, take a clean 2" paint brush and dry paint the helmet all over , this will remove excess dirt and muddy dust but will leave it slightly grubby, you may have to do this 2-3 times to get the look you want, as i said its a matter of preference and be prepared to start again if your not satisfied, only be careful because the decal will be applied, its certainly a lot easier to do it than describe it , but im used to doing it and i try numerous effects until i like the look, good luck

Thanks Dave, i'll give it a go Mate.

Cheers Phill

Heer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectHeer M42 helmet projectThe End.

I like it a lot, its been very interesting to see its transformation from a battered old shell into a fantastic piece of work very well done!

Thanks

Danny

?

A good job there Phill, Im glad you managed to get the result, it looks just right, fair amount of grime, dust, wear and tear, matched in with the decal, it worked out well, that will be another 50$ consultation fee LOL

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast