Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet

Article about: I found this German kriegsmarine double decal helmet in a bunker in Norway a while back. Since the bunker is a " Costal defense bunker" and it is located near the ocean, it has bee

Default HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet

I found this German kriegsmarine double decal helmet in a bunker in Norway a while back.

Since the bunker is a " Costal defense bunker" and it is located near the ocean, it has been attacked by the "sea air" even inside the bunker.

How should I clean it without removing the original paint and decals?
    I live in Norway and I have read about this "oxalic acid" stuff on this forum before, but I don`t know if this product is available in Norway?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet   HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet  

HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet   HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet  

HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet   HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: HELP!-Cleaning German double decal helmet

WOW! That one is super! DD too.

As for cleaning? Trouble is as you start to clean it, the decals will probably come off, and you'll loose the character of it. Has it deteriorated anymore since you found it? If not I'd leave it alone. If it has, then a light coating of locktite rust remover. Personally I'd leave well alone. It won't make it any better cleaning it up. But probably worse.............................JMO

Wow... you found this in norway? How long ago? Ive heard stories of people finding things, but it seems the public has been everywhere nowadays.

Ive been stumbeling around in old bunkers in norway and havent found anything. Still interesting. Those bunkers sure are built to last. Where abouts in norway you live?

Quote by Zachrynor View Post
    Wow... you found this in norway? How long ago? Ive heard stories of people finding things, but it seems the public has been everywhere nowadays.

Ive been stumbeling around in old bunkers in norway and havent found anything. Still interesting. Those bunkers sure are built to last. Where abouts in norway you live?
    Hi fellow Norwegian, I live in Kristiansand
    you?

I found the helmet about a year ago. . I think.
    There are still lots and lots of stuff to be found if you know where to look

Hei!

The name is close, but its far in distance. Kristiansund.

Yeah thats probably the issue. I only know the public places. Got any tips?

Quote by Zachrynor View Post
    Hei!

The name is close, but its far in distance. Kristiansund.

Yeah thats probably the issue. I only know the public places. Got any tips?
    In my case I just get a gut feeling that "this is a good place" if you know what I mean.

Say if you are in a bunker or at a place with lots of bunkers... Where do you look? You look/go where nobody else wants to go... A place that is hard to get to.

Nice find! If You want to preserv the decals, i think oxalic accid is the best. If You will use lemon accid decals will be gone for sure so better do not try! Oxalic accid is very toxic so if You will use it be sure you will do it open air. Also never pour water to to accid!

Problem with cleaning it is that it will destroy what value it has to a purist collector. Since it is so heavily rusted, I don't think you would be pleased, from an aesthetic point of view, with all of the pitting that is probably on the surface. Whats worst is I don't really see a way you could clean it and maintain the decals.

Bottom line though - its your helemet so you should do what pleases you the most!

?

Tough call to clean or preserve this one! The lid looks solid but the rust covers 99% of the helmet.
    I would proceed first washing it with warm water and brushing with a nylon brush.
    After that I'll try with the oxalic acid. It shouldn't be difficult to get also there, here you can find it also in pharmacy shops. An alternative would be evapo-rust, but it's harder to get and I haven't tested it on decals, so I would not use it time being. Nice find by the way!
    Regards

Matt

Hello, I have helmet very similar. Layer of rust over decal. Did you try to clean it?
    thks