Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

*HELP* Painting Medic Cross - US M1 Helmet

Article about: First off, medical helmets never had a factory look because they were not painted in the factory. In fact, crosses on the helmet were not allowed. They were painted in the field by the owner

?

Question *HELP* Painting Medic Cross - US M1 Helmet

Hey guys,
    i really need help with painting medic crosses on a US M1 helmet...by that i mean the style in the photo...i would like to know what paint colors, paint types, details, technices, history, and ways to do it as well as links to help me or photos. Also i would like to know how to lightly weather my crosses.
    THE REAL INFO I NEED is how to paint them, paint colors, and paint types (such as acyrlic,spray, etc.)
    I WOULD LIKE TO PAINT THIS TYPE AS SHOWN IN PICTURES-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3510/...eef911561d.jpg

http://toppots.net/thumb1.php?img=do...Medic3V2RS.jpg

WEATHERING LIKE THIS-

Ww2 medic helmet cross image by Cavgunbunny on Photobucket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement *HELP* Painting Medic Cross - US M1 Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: *help* painting medic crosses

are we talkin ww2 helmet in which case i beleive its a white circle with a red cross , id suggest making a set of stencils one for the cirlce and one for the cross and use acrylics so it can be removed if needs be weathering id suggest light sandpapering to reduece the finish at both stages , ageing can be done by adding some buff to the white t omake it look creamier and older and the red id say scarlet with a hint of burnt umber /dark broen to darken that up too

oh please use an airbrush for a better finish!!

?

Quote by panzerjaeger44 View Post
    oh please use an airbrush for a better finish!!

i was thinking about that but i dont have a reliable one right now and want to use a brush so it would look more realistic.

?

Quote by 101stTrooper View Post
    i was thinking about that but i dont have a reliable one right now and want to use a brush so it would look more realistic.
    Have a Hobby Lobby, or any craft store near you? You can pick up pretty good airbrushes for pretty cheap now days. I'd suggest using a stencil and airbrush too. This was the way they were done, atleast correctly. Field paint will have used brushes, but the strokes, in my opinion, cheapen the look. Simple spray paint will leave a mess...

Matthew

hell i got 3 airbrushes here only ever use one of them myself , please dont hand paint it you wont be happy with the result if you cant gwet a better brush get a profeesional to do it for you , shouldnt be too expensive i mena i airbrush a tank kit for around 60 bucks !! so a helmet cant be too expensive ,ill sell you a pre airbrush for 60 if you need it il even throw in a cylinder full of new replacement neeldes

?

Quote by mabrgo View Post
    Have a Hobby Lobby, or any craft store near you? You can pick up pretty good airbrushes for pretty cheap now days. I'd suggest using a stencil and airbrush too. This was the way they were done, atleast correctly. Field paint will have used brushes, but the strokes, in my opinion, cheapen the look. Simple spray paint will leave a mess...

Matthew
    yes but i want to make it realistic...im just gonna paint it with a paint brush so its more accurate.

?

Well, like I said, it depends on whether you want field or factory painted. Trust me, if you paint it with a brush, you will most likely be unhappy with it. Not to mention, anyway you cut it, it's not real but a replica.

Matthew

There is a way to neatly simulate sprayed look with a paintbrush . If using a soft haired and relatively thick( say 1cm ) brush that is cut short. the paint may be stippeled over the stencil . this wont leave brush marks. when dry i would rub steel wool to take the freshness out and give a combat worn look .This may be best with enamel paints , but probably acrylic would work too .

Quote by Rob truscott View Post
    There is a way to neatly simulate sprayed look with a paintbrush . If using a soft haired and relatively thick( say 1cm ) brush that is cut short. the paint may be stippeled over the stencil . this wont leave brush marks. when dry i would rub steel wool to take the freshness out and give a combat worn look .This may be best with enamel paints , but probably acrylic would work too .
    The stipple/'daubing' method with stencils is the way most everything
    was painted in WWII - vehicle markings as well in some cases.

After you give it that certain 'worn' look, rub some 'scratch hide'
    solution onto it. This should darken/age the image further.
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast