Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help with restoring an INDUSTRIAL DAMAGED M40 Luftschutz.

Article about: i can not believe the carelessness of the us postal service these days! Not long ago i ordered a new Blackberry storm 2 (\\$350) and i watched the delivery guy TOSS the box on to my porch from

Default Help with restoring an INDUSTRIAL DAMAGED M40 Luftschutz.

Hello all!

To make a long story short, my family owns a recycling center. We mostly take in debris from construction and renovation projects, but we also take in “garbage” from clean outs of attics, garages, basements, etc. As such, we find A LOT of treasure!

Recently, a lot of militaria has been coming in. Unfortunately, this helmet was not spotted until AFTER it went through our grinder.

By grinding the garbage down, it is easier for our workers to separate recyclable materials from trash that cannot be recycled and has to be sent to the landfill.

I've seen our grinder tear apart a car door and other large pieces of metal... so the mostly intact condition of this beaded M40 Luftschutz is a testament to how well these things were made...

Anyway, do you fine fellows think this helmet can be restored? A few people have told me that the dents are too deep... but to be honest, they don't look THAT bad to me. The scratches make them look far worse than they actually are.

I'd really like to fully restore this helmet and share it with my high school history students.

Pics:

Is this supposed to be an SS decal?

Is this supposed to be a party decal?

This one came out blurry... sorry guys.

Here you can see the apple green skirt and blue dome

ET64

Lot # 5057

Named liner

Some of the cork on the inside is damaged

SO! What do you guys think? Can this helmet be restored?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with restoring an INDUSTRIAL DAMAGED M40 Luftschutz.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Help with restoring an INDUSTRIAL DAMAGED M40 Luftschutz.

I would say it will prove very difficult to restore this helmet, the metal will have been weakened and due to the deep gouges, very thin in places, i think it would need heating and panel beating to correct the dents to a reasonable looking standard, but that will destroy the paint, trying a cold metal beating ,you risk cracking the helmet, its very unfortunate but i would be very reluctant to try unless you consider all the risks and accept that there maybe more damage caused, if you do and it works out ok, great, but be prepared to be dissappointed

I'm afraid it's pretty much shagged....Best leave it as it is I think.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    I'm afraid it's pretty much shagged....Best leave it as it is I think.

Regards, Ned.
    I think the scratches make the dents look far worse than they actually are.

I really want to bring this lid back to life and use it as a teaching aid (I'm a high school history teacer).

ian
    ?

it is a balisticly imperfect helmet ,hence the bead around it
    i thing a good panel beater could cold hammer the dents out of it with no real problems
    a good man could easely deal with any streached metal
    have a go at it ,the steel of this helmet is soft any way and what do you have to loose
    cheers ian

Quote by ian View Post
    it is a balisticly imperfect helmet ,hence the bead around it
    i thing a good panel beater could cold hammer the dents out of it with no real problems
    a good man could easely deal with any streached metal
    have a go at it ,the steel of this helmet is soft any way and what do you have to loose
    cheers ian
    This is exactly how I feel. I got the helmet for free... so I really wouldn't be losing anything. I would rather take the chance and maybe end up with a nice restored helmet.

Does anyone know of anyone who might be able to help me with the work? I am all thumbs unfortunately, and I would definately ruin it.

ian
    ?

i think most any car body shop would have someone with the necesary skill to deal with this

Does your High School teach metal work to students?, it might be a good project for them to work on perfecting their skills. Just an idea that'd be cheap
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Does your High School teach metal work to students?, it might be a good project for them to work on perfecting their skills. Just an idea that'd be cheap
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    That's actually a great idea! There's a career and technical center right down the road from my house...

I dont think it can be restored, but since its so damaged and value its greatly reduced, try it anyway.
    Good Luck.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast