Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to?

Article about: I can only echo what others have said. If you're truly unhappy with the condition of it, sell it and use the proceeds to find one in better shape. Unmarked examples, complete with liner and

Default How to?

I just bought a ww1 brodie helmet shell and I really wanted to refurbish it I just dont know how!
    I have been looking all over the internet for help but it is all about german helmets.
    Somebody please help me.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How to?

Hi Michael,
    My first question would be - Is the lid so bad that you HAVE to refurbish it?? Has it no liner or colour left - even if it is rusted and relic, it can be a valuable "image" of the war left as is.
    Yes, it is yours to do with as you wish but these are the questions we need to ask ourselves before we embark on a restoration ...... ( in my opinion )
    Cheers, Dan

I think we need to see some pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Good idea for piccys, we need to see the extent of wear or if its worth either the work involved or the historical value that could be lost if restored, restoring any item is just a matter of research, time and patience,whether it be a helmet of any description or much larger items, the question that you always have to ask yourself is "will i be destroying the history of the item or enhancing the look purely for my own pleasure and display" it is somewhat different when dealing with historical vehicles, aircraft etc as this is actually preserving historical content as these may be the only examples left

Agrees, pics first before you do anything to it.

Okay. So I finally took some pictures, and here they are...

Misc. Pictures 020 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

WW1 Helmet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So there they are.
    It is in rough shape and I paid $80 for it, but I have been tryin to find one for a long time.

Please tell me what you think.
    Thanks,
    Michael

?

I don't know much about Brodie helmets. However it looks in a not too bad condition. I think you should try and find an original liner and not do much with it. I guess it would keep it's value a lot better this way?

Regards, Lars

I wouldn't repaint it if I were you, but then again, I love a salty helmet. You might be able to find a replacement liner for it on Ebay. I think you got a pretty good deal and it's great that the chinstrap is still there.

?

Quote by strawberry 9 View Post
    I wouldn't repaint it if I were you, but then again, I love a salty helmet. You might be able to find a replacement liner for it on Ebay. I think you got a pretty good deal and it's great that the chinstrap is still there.
    Could not agree more. I am sure some members will be able to locate you a liner. Post here before buying

Regards, Lars

?

If this helmet were repainted it would destroy the value and history of this piece as the others have stated try to locate another liner for it. Good shell and chinstrap though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast