Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How to paint Stahlhelm camo?

Article about: Hello guys. I have a German Stahlhelm, which I'd like to paint to some camouflage theme (dont worry, it's postwar M55 Finnish model). Can you direct me to some good site which has good instr

Default Re: How to paint Stahlhelm camo?

I don't think the color is all too bad, but I'd strip it if I were you and try again. Use a flat enamel, not gloss!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to paint Stahlhelm camo?
    P
    Many

?

Hi Finnlander! OB has a point actually looking back the shade of green looks okay I personally would leave it just green without the brown as it blends in better. Matt coat might work I have not personally tried that before. At the end of the day its not an original German helmet and makes great for practice. Remember its your helmet you can pick & choose are advice but the main point from me is matt paint it makes a world of difference to the finished product! Cheers! Sean.

good evening finnlander ,i think the finished colouration looks ok apart from it being to darn glossy ,resolve this and im sure it will look great ,regards james
    Regards James

Yeah I'll consider redoing it

Anyways I tried matte coat on it and here's the result.

In my eyes it came off pretty good but the paintjob in the front didnt flatten at all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to paint Stahlhelm camo?   How to paint Stahlhelm camo?  

How to paint Stahlhelm camo?   How to paint Stahlhelm camo?  

Euh........no. with all my respect, but it looks horribly wrong. I would sand it down and start again, and use the right paint this time.
    Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is just not done the way it should be, it looks terrible.

Haha fair enough. But tell me, what's wrong with it? The gloss part is obviously wrong, but what about surface texture, shades of green and brown?

-Jere

?

I,m sorry but I have to agree,this has not gone well, and needs a complete re-think, there is a reason why gloss paint was'nt used, try not to worry so much about all the different shades in the areas you will be working, it was the same for all the soldiers fighting, they had to compromise between the colours , there was no paint readily available when fighting,as I said before the idea is to break up the outline of the helmet and blend in, your helmet does neither, try using natural materials that will be on site, mix correct paint with mud ,dirt etc,once dry it will naturally flake away,leaving different patterns

Okay. It's very hard and expensive to find real matte brush paints here, so if I'd go with regular feldgray-and tanspray, how would I make the texture rough? Obviously I cant add it into the paint before spraying.

-Jere

i guess the texture is already on the shell now ,is it possible to just go over with the repaint after a slight flatting down so the paint has something to key too
    Regards James

I think it's possible. Let's see after I've got those sprays.

-Jere

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast