Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

How to preserve and display a newspaper

Article about: Hello ! I recently got a hometown newspaper from 1944 and where it was folded the paper is crumbling . My 2 question is how do you keep it from getting worst beside not putting it in direct

Default How to preserve and display a newspaper

Hello !
    I recently got a hometown newspaper from 1944 and where it was folded the paper is crumbling . My 2 question is how do you keep it from getting worst beside not putting it in direct sunlight but at the same time here is my second question i want to display it ,what would be the best way ? display case ? frame ? there is a lot of info in the other pages so if i only put the front page the rest is not in view .
    Thanks for any help

Frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to preserve and display a newspaper  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to preserve and display a newspaper
    P
    Many

Default Re: How to preserve and display a newspaper

Have it framed if you really value it.

But Newspaper is poor quality and will always suffer from deterioration due to the high acid in the paper. You can buy a spray treatment to neutralise the acid content of the paper.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Also I would say U. V. filtering glass, as used by museums. This will help to stop any sunlight damage, also make sure that the paper does not stick to the gass, I've seen this we old photographs, try to remove them from the frame or glass and you lose the very thing your trying to preserve.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Thanks to both for your answer .

Frenchy

Have you seen my thread titled- WAR OVER: OFFICIAL?. I simply bought my newpaper front page like that, framed with a sheet of plastic in front of it and as my brother pointed out it apears to be tinted plastic as he tints car windows for a living he recognized it instantly.

This would no doupt offer slight uv protection and ofcourse stop it sticking to the glass.

There is no real value to these things and i bought it simply becouse i like it and for what i represents. A peice of history,the end of the war. No doupt its worth nothing more than $5.00 Aud with i believe is about 3.00 pounds? perhaps a little more.

I payed about $25.00 AUD but the frame is worth more than that so it was a bargain.

Cheers-

Darren.

Quote by Darren Lillington View Post
    Have you seen my thread titled- WAR OVER: OFFICIAL?. I simply bought my newpaper front page like that, framed with a sheet of plastic in front of it and as my brother pointed out it apears to be tinted plastic as he tints car windows for a living he recognized it instantly.

Yes i just came back from reading it .

There is no real value to these things and i bought it simply becouse i like it and for what i represents. A peice of history,the end of the war. No doupt its worth nothing more than $5.00 Aud with i believe is about 3.00 pounds? perhaps a little more.

I payed 10$ and i know it is worth much but like you said i liked it and for me it is worth something .A piece of history !

I payed about $25.00 AUD but the frame is worth more than that so it was a bargain.

I like the way yours is it gave me an idea for mine .

Cheers-

Darren.
    Thanks
    Frenchy

No problem Frenchy, yes in this hobby its not always about the financial worth of a peice. Big or small, expensive or cheap its about how we feel about a peice and most importantly, keeping history alive.

If you do wish to frame more than the front page you might want to get a long frame but it wil cost you. Alternatively you could simply laminate the front page to prevent further damage and frame it.

Cheers-

Darren