Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

How to remove rust

Article about: sorry forgot to take pictures of the stage looked like before but can send photos how it looks now can upload them tomorrow. But next time I do it I can get some pictures before and after fo

?

Default Re: How to remove rust

sorry forgot to take pictures of the stage looked like before but can send photos how it looks now can upload them tomorrow. But next time I do it I can get some pictures before and after for you : )

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to remove rust
    P
    Many

?

Electrolytic rust removal is very effective, basically this works the same as electroplating items with silver, nickel or chromium, just your removing the oxide layers instead of plating another metal on the surface. But as the video unstated, be very carefully about the levels of hydrogen give off during the process, as these are quite high, and so if possible do this outside. The process also works very well on high chrome and nickel content steels, as I've a few friends that use this process for antique sewing machine restoration. Personally though I'm a big fan of sand blasting, and on most items this is not a problem.

Nige.

Talking Re: How to remove rust

Here are the result of my latest project - a russian mortar round.
    Cleaned overnight with the help of our friend, electricity.

Before:
    How to remove rust

After:
    How to remove rust

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to remove rust   How to remove rust  

Not bad!

Any other projects?

?

Wow thats all I can say, it just goes to show how much the surface oxidised metal hides the real condtion of the artfact. Quite frankly going by the first picture you would think that this mortor bomb would have lost any detail or just be one solid lump of rust.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by Nifartachi View Post
    Not bad!

Any other projects?
    Well, it's going to be a long summer, but unfortunately i don't have much spare time at hand...

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Wow thats all I can say, it just goes to show how much the surface oxidised metal hides the real condtion of the artfact. Quite frankly going by the first picture you would think that this mortor bomb would have lost any detail or just be one solid lump of rust.
    Nige.
    Seems that the cast iron body is more resistant to rust than the sheet metal fins. The majority of fins blown off mortar shells that i've found were rusted beyond repair and left in place....
    The only thing that this shell needs now is a coat of protective oil and a nice spot on a shelf.

yanks12025
    ?

Sorry to bring back a old thread, but i was wondering if anyone has tried this with a helmet that had parts of the decal still.

Quote by yanks12025 View Post
    Sorry to bring back a old thread, but i was wondering if anyone has tried this with a helmet that had parts of the decal still.
    Wich procedee do you intend to use? Decals may fade or even get lost.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Electrolytic rust removal is very effective, basically this works the same as electroplating items with silver, nickel or chromium, just your removing the oxide layers instead of plating another metal on the surface. But as the video unstated, be very carefully about the levels of hydrogen give off during the process, as these are quite high, and so if possible do this outside. The process also works very well on high chrome and nickel content steels, as I've a few friends that use this process for antique sewing machine restoration. Personally though I'm a big fan of sand blasting, and on most items this is not a problem.

Nige.
    Hey Nige,
    I am very curious to see some of those restaured sewing machines; is there a possibility to get in touch with your friends?
    Cheers
    Kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast