Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?

Article about: Hi, I recently acquired this helmet (my first!) and was hoping someone could fill me in on the best way to preserve it. I was recommended to use Renaissance Wax, which seems like a good idea

Default IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?

Hi, I recently acquired this helmet (my first!) and was hoping someone could fill me in on the best way to preserve it. I was recommended to use Renaissance Wax, which seems like a good idea after reading up on the stuff. I'm honestly just afraid to put anything on it, but I really want to maintain this helmet for my son to display and enjoy someday as well.

I'm also going to purchase an individual or multiple display case for the helmet.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?   IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?  

IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?   IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?
    P
    Many

Default Re: IJN Type-90 Helmet: How to preserve?

G'day FH11, I'm not sure that i'd put anything on it? Looks in pretty good condition to me, you could give it a gentle wash with warm soapy water and when thoroughly dry you could give it a coat of clear Matt lacquer to protect it further but as i said i don't know if i'd worry too much as long as it's not exposed to the elements i can see your son enjoying in the future as you are now

Cheers Phill.

?

PLEASE PLEASE, dont put anything on it, any type of cleaning or adding a coat of preservative will destroy the original patina, ren wax is all you need to do to protect the finish

DO NOT PUT ANY LACQUER ON IT! It will not protect it long term, it may very well react with the original paint and liner and will eventually discolour and peel (not to mention any lacquering would also devalue it). I would also advise you not to wash a helmet in this condition (i.e. good) with 'warm soapy water', any type of detergent can react with the original paint, etc and if it is not dried properly it will rust and if dried properly may very well dry out the liner. At the very most the slightest damp cloth could be used to remove and dust or dirt. I have heard good things about Renaissance Wax and I think most members here would recommend it. Personally I leave my helmets as I find them.

I agree with the guys, please don't do anything to it.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    DO NOT PUT ANY LACQUER ON IT! It will not protect it long term, it may very well react with the original paint and liner and will eventually discolour and peel (not to mention any lacquering would also devalue it). I would also advise you not to wash a helmet in this condition (i.e. good) with 'warm soapy water', any type of detergent can react with the original paint, etc and if it is not dried properly it will rust and if dried properly may very well dry out the liner. At the very most the slightest damp cloth could be used to remove and dust or dirt. I have heard good things about Renaissance Wax and I think most members here would recommend it. Personally I leave my helmets as I find them.

I was told the helmet was in a barn for over 50 years, so there's definitely a bit of dust on it. I'll lightly pat it off. I'll pick up some Renaissance Wax and consider applying it. Do you suppose the wax would devalue the helmet? After reading up on it, it seems like an excellent barrier for moisture and oxygen. Like I said, I'm afraid of destroying the helmet by trying to preserve it. Perhaps it's best left as is after a gentle dusting. Thanks for the information!

How do you display your helmets?
    [I]"We here highly resolve that the dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom..."[/I]
    [I]Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863[/I]

Quote by Fleischhacker11 View Post
    I was told the helmet was in a barn for over 50 years, so there's definitely a bit of dust on it. I'll lightly pat it off. I'll pick up some Renaissance Wax and consider applying it. Do you suppose the wax would devalue the helmet? After reading up on it, it seems like an excellent barrier for moisture and oxygen. Like I said, I'm afraid of destroying the helmet by trying to preserve it. Perhaps it's best left as is after a gentle dusting. Thanks for the information!

How do you display your helmets?
    Hi, i display them on glass displays.
    If necessary i use a small brush to remove surface dust, nothing more, if i buy them dirty, i will keep them just the way i found them.
    Beautiful lid, by the way.
    Congrats on such a great find.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    G'day, I was'nt suggesting he immerse the lid in a sink merely wipe the outside of the shell, nor was i suggesting he "lacquer" the liner, as i said, i wouldn't do anything to it personally.

Regards Phill.

?

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    G'day, I was'nt suggesting he immerse the lid in a sink merely wipe the outside of the shell, nor was i suggesting he "lacquer" the liner, as i said, i wouldn't do anything to it personally.

Regards Phill.
    G'DAY Phill, i know what you meant mate, dont worry i'll watch your back lol

Quote by davejb View Post
    G'DAY Phill, i know what you meant mate, dont worry i'll watch your back lol
    LOL Thanks and G'day Ol Mate