Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Iron Cross restoration

Article about: G'day all, I've had this cross for over 30 years and as you can see it's had a hard life so i thought i'd have a go at sprucing it up, as you can see the rings are long gone so i've sourced

Default Iron Cross restoration

G'day all, I've had this cross for over 30 years and as you can see it's had a hard life so i thought i'd have a go at sprucing it up, as you can see the rings are long gone so i've sourced some from a dealer in the U.K as well as a nice new ribbon. Now it just needs a little elbow grease, but i don't expect it to take too long

Cheers Phill Iron Cross restorationIron Cross restorationIron Cross restorationIron Cross restoration
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Cross restoration  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross restoration
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Iron Cross restoration

Id give it very little cleaning Phill, as for the Ring thats going to need soldering on, i would take that to a jewellers shop, preferably one that is used to doing medals ,awards etc, we have a few over here, one local to me in fact, he did a war medal for me for nothing.

hah! just noticed the EKII here....for some reason my eyes had wandered to the edge of the page. can't imagine why.

Gonna forgo the solder dave and try an invisible metal glue, took it to a jeweller once before but he didn't want to attempt it.

Cheers Phill

?

Thats strange Phill a jeweller would be used to working with precious metals and therefore knows the correct temperature to work with, perhaps another jeweller,im not 100% sure the metal glue will work, theres not really enough area for adhesion and to get it to stick properly you will need to overlap quite a bit which will distort the look, but hey its a hit or miss try out

?

If you take it to a jeweler make sure he is a silversmith also. There is a big difference soldering silver. Higher temps and experience will be paramount. A jewler that is just a goldsmith will just screw it up.

There always seem to be a great misunderstanding about "restorations".
    I mostly do no react anymore on most "garage -and -kitchen- fix -up -restorations".
    A restoration is ment to bring back a item in a forme, shape or color as it used to be before been dammaged.
    A restoration can be seen as one and should be seen as one.
    That does not mean it as to be a fix up, some restorations take a lot of work, skill and knowledge.
    A restoration should also be removable at all time, bringing the item back in its original condition as found before restoration WITHOUT dammaging it more as it was.
    And thise last sentence is so often not taken in consideration.
    A restoration should not be done in order to fool any one.
    IMO soldering a ring to it is therefor not to be seen as a restoration. I would also choose for a "cold restoration", glue would be ok to me.
    Just my humble opinion.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by SteveR View Post
    If you take it to a jeweler make sure he is a silversmith also. There is a big difference soldering silver. Higher temps and experience will be paramount. A jewler that is just a goldsmith will just screw it up.
    Might be the reason the jeweller wasn't keen Steve, he might not have worked in that area?

Cheers Phill

Iron Cross restoration Cleaned and the paint touched up

Iron Cross restoration New ring glued in place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast